Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How many book do you own?

how many books do you own
10 -50  
 22%  [ 12 ]
51-200  
 16%  [ 9 ]
200-500  
 24%  [ 13 ]
500-1000  
 16%  [ 9 ]
over 1000  
 20%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 54

lizza1984

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:06 pm
House is starting to look like a public library!

Starhavah

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:25 pm
lizza1984 wrote:
House is starting to look like a public library!

Well you cannot have more than half of what we have since we easily have over 1000 titles. We have 3 floor to ceiling bookcases with sfarim and religious books and another with encyclopedias and sfarim but it is only about 3 feet of bookcase (the rest is a cabinet) and that is only the living room! DD has a hundred or so in her room. There is a bookcase and a half in our bedroom and the family room has 7.5-8 full bookcases. That doesn't even start the to count all of the books in the office (we have a home office with 3 computers and 6 book cases (but some of the book cases have office supplies on them).

It is not a problem for us since they are all up on bookcases and the novels (in the family room) are in alphabetical order by author. So we can find anything we want. And yes we have friends who come over just before Shabbat to borrow books when they miss the library. The only time it was a problem was when we wanted to sell our house (the old house was much smaller) and the real estate agent told us to pack up all the books (we compromised on one bookcase could be left out) and to put them in the shed before she would show the house.

We love our many books, there is always something to read :-)

zigi

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:50 pm
my mother used to make a joke that we live in a library! I still have books in my fathers house. I have no room for them in my apt.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 3:32 pm
I couldn't begin to even guess how many we have. In one room we have 36 shelves (6 bookcases of 6 shelves each) filled with English, Jewish books (ranging from novels to halachic topics). Another room has 18 shelves of seforim. Then one DS has 9 shelves of seforim in his room and another has 5 shelves of seforim. There are around 10 shelves of assorted English books in other bedrooms as well as many boxes in our attic belonging to other DSs that are now away (in Yeshiva or married overseas not ready to claim them for their own home).

We don't arrange the alphabetically, but do so by subject matter or type.

I have one friend who regularly borrows books who claims that it's a waste to be a member of the local Jewish library since I've got more books than they do Smile

freidasima

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 3:47 pm
Well between DH and my books at home and in our offices we own at least 15,000 books. Then there are the kids books.
Yes we have books everywhere except in our bedroom (I'm allergic and it's too hard to dust) and in the bathroom. There I keep the junky story magazines (like people's friend from scotland, clean old fashioned stories) and readers digest.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 4:17 pm
FI, I am in your range aqnd it makes mil crazy. She reads people magazine and paperback novels so who would need 7 bookcases in the LR, a separate room for a library, childrens bookcases in 2 rooms and all of your sifrei chol next to the computer in the master BR. Very Happy

random

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 4:54 pm
Any of y'all booklovers cataloged on www.librarything.com?

Starhavah

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:57 pm
random wrote:

No, it would take too much time to catalog them all.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 11:04 pm
I easily have more than a 1000, and counting. I love reading and have become quite a book hoarder...

zigi

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 12:03 am
Starhavah wrote:
random wrote:

No, it would take too much time to catalog them all.

I started but it took a long time to 6 books in, I guess that I will have to do it a few books at a time I like the book review section

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 1:21 am
I'm not sure the number of books we have but we have them in every room of the house.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 2:49 am
I dont think that we have reached the 1000 mark yet, but we have well over 100. we, so far only four bookshelves in the apartment but there are books on the living room table, near our beds and in drawers were there is no room for them. I would LOVE to have over 1000 books, I love books and reading. sort of like that scene from beauty and the beast when the beast gives belle a gift and what is that gift? the library in him home, it was BIG and filled with MANY books Smile

lizza1984

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 9:23 am
Sometimes I find books I have not read yet.

Love My Babes

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 9:30 am
I dont fit on this poll. I have less than 10.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics