Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Please help

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 11:43 am
I am doing a paper for school on management. I need a bunch of examples of positive and negative management styles that you've noticed in your work place. You don't need to give me too much detail but wnough to make it unique. Ex boss yelled at employee in public setting - too vague but boss yelled at employee for deleting files - better.
The more you give the better.
Thanks everyone!

(anon cuz ppl know I have this paper and don't want them knowing my screenname)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:35 pm
I'll answer ...

I had a run-in with the super and refused to sign the Deputy Fire Warden sign in sheet for a while, knowing the Fire Dept is a stickler for us signing in every day. So the controller, our floor's Fire Warden, hollered at me in front of the whole office because of it. I'd say that was wrong - he should have brought it up to me privately.

This same controller hands us our paychecks; I think they should be put in an envelope, at least, for privacy.

Lastly, I'm often hollered for when I'm in the bathroom - please, that's a health issue !!!!!

small bean

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:46 pm
I recently made a $7mm mistake. my boss was first unsure how to respond and told me to try to figure out where I went wrong. when I figured out that it was because of a typo on my end, he lauged and said that can do it. and then gave a speech how accuracy is important, it was a very nice way of dealing with the loss.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:52 pm
I don't know if this helps you, but my company had a real issue with zero positive feedback. Once they opened a Quality Control Department specifically for positive feedback when due, everyone's overall attitude improved.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 5:56 pm
Thanks.
These are all great and will definitely be able to use them but I need ALOT of positive and negtive examples so plz keep them coming!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:04 pm
Whew! Where do I start!

WORST example- there was no coordination between dept heads. Boss would jire people for specific jobs without input from deot heads or people in that dept.

People having tantrums.

Absolutely no hierarchy within the administrative office staff. Things were gotten to when they were gotten to....

Thats just a sampling of what I used to have to deal with....

RightOnTarget

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:17 pm
At my old place - One boss advising me to do one thing while the other wants something else done at the same time... No coordination between the two. (They eventually split up!)

Current job - One boss would ask for a specific paperwork to get completed and ask that I have it approved by the other boss before to make sure thats the way he wants it done..

Hope this helps!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:18 pm
If we come in 15 min early, we cannot leave 15 minutes early and we don't get paid for the extra time.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 7:23 pm
For every day that we punch in 7 min early in the morn, we get a bonus pay of 1/4 hrly rate. We also have to leave no later than the exact time that we finish (I.e. if we finish at 5, we can't punch out 4:59...) if we want to recieve the bonus for that day.

levial

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 10:38 am
Negative: Partners/Managing Directors who hold meeting with a customer for whom I am responsible. I don't hear about the meeting from my own department, but due to the fact the customer and I have a strong relationship....I do and have to fake that I know about the topic or issue (For example, not telling me you discussed this month's metrics with her, and then she asks me to do my usual analysis where I then find out my department heads have already shared the info, just not as she prefers. Makes us all look bad and uncoordinated)

Positive: Discussing an employee's personal "brand" at the firm and what steps to develop a stronger one. I had a manager who met with me and determined that my strategic thinking and sharpness added up to the personal brand "Chief of Staff" - that I was the 2nd in command type. I started "branding" myself that way with customer (mentioned above) by saying things to her and others "Well, I consider myself her Chief of Staff, I'd be happy to take a look and help coach you before the meeting on approach" - this has gotten me a seat at the table, seen a strategic. All because my manager decided to invest in my development.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics