Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Anyone "handy" that can tell me how to fix toilet?

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 11:59 am
If there is anyone handy on these boards-please respond-

The handle to my toilet looks fine outside, until we realized it wasnt flushing. Upon lifting off the cover off the tank, it seems that the long black piece (stick) that attaches to the handle on the inside of the tank is partially cracked off. If I stick the 2 pieces together manually it flushes. Thats a temporary solution, obviously not permanent. Is this something we can fix by ourselves as DH tried to crazy glue the 2 back together and it didnt work (I didnt think it would work but he wanted to try). If so, what piece/pieces do I need to buy,and if I cant fix it do I need a plumber or a handyman?
Thanks!

Daveet

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 12:52 pm
As per my DH - you can buy a new handle that come with the stick that attaches to the chain for a few dollars in any hardware store like Home Depot. Pretty easy fix he says.

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:03 pm
Thank You! In other words, the handle comes off easily and then reattaches easily? Also, since my toilet doesnt have a model number and I obviously cant take it with me!!- is this a standard size part that I could just pick up at Home Depot?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:04 pm
go to home depot and pick up a new flush lever ... then reattach following the instructions the new one should come with ... easy as a few turns of a nut ...

http://www.hammerzone.com/arch.....n.htm

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:05 pm
You buy a whole new toilet kit, which includes the handle and the other piece that the handle attaches to in the toilet tank.
Make sure your dh reads the instructions. My dh replaced ours when we were newly married and it worked fine, but then in malfunctioned a little while later, and we had to call a plumber.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:07 pm
ra mom - why buy a whole kit when you just need a lever ...

also, if it malfunctioned you should have returned the piece to the store or call the manufacturer for a replacement part or refund ... paying a plumber was unnecessary

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:10 pm
Thank you greenfire and ra_mom

Greenfire- I was just going to ask that question- so I dont need a whole kit?

Thank you so much for that very specific step by step direction attachment.

I hope DH can fix it!

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:10 pm
...and thanks Daveet!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:13 pm
heck YOU can fix it !!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:16 pm
greenfire wrote:

I read in the OP that the long black stick that attaches the handle is what's broken, not just the handle.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:18 pm
Im too scared- I never fixed anything. Im pretty good at breaking things, though!
But based on the step by step directions, it looks like I possibly could try it, but I but I dont think that I am ready to start up with a toilet!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:20 pm
hellothere wrote:
Im too scared- I never fixed anything. Im pretty good at breaking things, though!
But based on the step by step directions, it looks like I possibly could try it, but I but I dont think that I am ready to start up with a toilet!
It's worth a try.
It only costs a few dollars, if even that.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
greenfire wrote:

I read in the OP that the long black stick that attaches the handle is what's broken, not just the handle.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

that IS the lever ... there are other things like a flush valve which brings in the water ... and a flush valve which lifts up to let the water out ... all things would be included in a kit ...

hello there hellothere - it says it'll take 15 minutes ... for me it would take 60 seconds ... even if it takes you 30 ... GO FOR IT !!!

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 1:31 pm
Greenfire, you sound like you are might talented and can fix things. Where did you learn to be so handy?

bbmom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 2:02 pm
The way to become handy is to try it yourself and not always rely on someone else to fix things for you! Even if it doesn't work in the first five minutes it's worth training yourself in. DH's aren't always available to fix things for us!

Growing up my father was the fix it guy in our house. He had a great big wall of tools in the garage and he was very good with them. Then he started working like 80 hour weeks and didn't have time to fix every leak and creak in the house. There definitely wasn't money to pay someone else to fix every thing so Mommy rolled up her sleeves and figured it out! I was pretty little when that started so I basically grew up in a house where Mommy was the fix it man. That's how I learned to fix things.

In my house whoever notices it first fixes it Wink

sim

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 7:59 pm
I recently replaced the flush lever on my toilet -- went to Home Depot and bought it, and did it myself. If I can do it, anyone can do it. It took me less than 15 minutes. Good Luck!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 8:39 pm
hellothere wrote:
Greenfire, you sound like you are might talented and can fix things. Where did you learn to be so handy?

what bb said ... if you're not gonna try - you'll never know ... all you need is two hands, eyes & a brain ... follow instructions and use the right tools ... you can do anything ...

overthehill

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 8:42 pm
DH suprised me and got to it before I had a chance. It took him one minute. OK maybe 2.
Thanks for all your help. IY"H next "fix it project" I will try it. I am good though at putting stuff together- so maybe I can fix things too. Oh and the lever was 5 bucks. Cool!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:43 pm
okay I'll be waiting ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics