Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Would you pull him out of daycare?

tzatza

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 9:20 am
Ds (2,5 y.o.) has been in a daycare forthe past 2 months. BH, he loves it there. My concern is that they do not enforce naptime, and he truly needs one. He gets home at 2:30-2:45 and it is a never ending tantruming until he crushes at 5:30-6. Then, it is up at 5:30-6 and cycle begins again. On weekends he naps at home and is much more manageable in the afternoon. Should I wait a little more to see if he adjusts or just talk to daycare provider and shorten his hours there till 12:30 (pick him up and take home to nap)? Then, of course there maybe an issue of paying a different price per month. Dunno what to do....

mom23

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 10:36 am
B"H he likes the daycare you are sending him to. You really have to do what will work better for you. If you feel he still MUST nap then pick him up. If you feel this is just an adjustment period and he really doesn't need a nap then wait it out.

Just a thought - would it be disastrous to put him in for a late nap and have him go to bed later?

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 10:37 am
My kids really needed naps and I wouldn't have wanted them to be in any situation where this wasn't possible. An evening on a no-nap day is awful, not just for us but for but for the napless kid. Some kids don't need them, but my kids aren't those kids.

Do you work? If you do, how will you handle the change if you decide he should come home?

catonmylap

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 10:45 am
If you are not working, why not pick him up at 12:30 or 1pm?

If you are working, you don't really have that option.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 10:57 am
does she not put him in to nap - or does he simply not nap there ...

either way - your idea of picking him up 12:30 sounds better - than a tantrum every evening ...

tzatza

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 11:34 am
I know, greenfire, I am generally a calm person, but these tantrums are getting to me. I have other children, and cannot give them any attention in the evening because I am wiped out from dealing with my toddler. My older son had same issue but he is a mellow kid and adjust well to no-naps-4-days-a-week. THis toddler is very feisty, so he needs a break in the middle. Workwise...hmmm...my only option now would be to quit:( if I to pick him up earlier. As far as putting him to nap after daycare: we tried doing it it for a few days, but aside from him resisting it at 3PM, he wakes up at 5 even crankier than before (like jet-lagged or someting), and still crashes at 6:30ish. Btw, before daycare his bedtime always was around 6:30 (maybe 7 sometimes).
I am just trying to figure out the best decision to keep him happy and prevent over-fatigue and to keep my sanity intact (more or less).

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 11:57 am
Try picking him up for a week and see how it works out!

tzatza

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 1:04 pm
MiamiMommy wrote:

Good idea, but trial-out period is not an option because of our work schedule.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 5:19 pm
not every kid needs playgroup ... what other options does he have ... maybe he doesn't even like the play group ... I've taken kids out of play group because they were just so unhappy ...

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 5:57 pm
greenfire wrote:
not every kid needs playgroup ... what other options does he have ... maybe he doesn't even like the play group ... I've taken kids out of play group because they were just so unhappy ...

She said he likes the place.

happymom

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 7:03 pm
I would pick him up at twelve. that's the time kids that age get really tired and want to go home. when I sent my daugther at two and a half I picked her up every day at eleven thirty so she could nap at home, even though they "napped there" (on the floor on cots....

Barbara

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 1:57 am
tzatza wrote:
Ds (2,5 y.o.) has been in a daycare forthe past 2 months. BH, he loves it there. My concern is that they do not enforce naptime, and he truly needs one. He gets home at 2:30-2:45 and it is a never ending tantruming until he crushes at 5:30-6. Then, it is up at 5:30-6 and cycle begins again. On weekends he naps at home and is much more manageable in the afternoon. Should I wait a little more to see if he adjusts or just talk to daycare provider and shorten his hours there till 12:30 (pick him up and take home to nap)? Then, of course there maybe an issue of paying a different price per month. Dunno what to do....

Have you spoken to the DCP? Is the problem that he doesn't go down for a nap there, or that they don't try? Are they willing to work with you on this issue? If he loves the place, and you're otehrwise happy with it, then it can't hurt to talk.

What time would you want them to put him down for a nap? I only have the one child, but by 2-1/2, he and his friends were well beyond a morning nap. Nap time was usually in the afternoon, about the time that your son gets home, or maybe a little earlier (1:30 or 2). Maybe the problem is that you pick him up during the time that the kids usually nap.

Good luck.

tzatza

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 8:40 pm
Barbara wrote:
tzatza wrote:

Have you spoken to the DCP? Is the problem that he doesn't go down for a nap there, or that they don't try? Are they willing to work with you on this issue? If he loves the place, and you're otehrwise happy with it, then it can't hurt to talk.

What time would you want them to put him down for a nap? I only have the one child, but by 2-1/2, he and his friends were well beyond a morning nap. Nap time was usually in the afternoon, about the time that your son gets home, or maybe a little earlier (1:30 or 2). Maybe the problem is that you pick him up during the time that the kids usually nap.

Good luck.

When he is home, his nap time is around 12 (Shabbos may be 30 min later). At daycare it is around 1 pm.

MiamiMommy

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:07 pm
tzatza wrote:
MiamiMommy wrote:

Good idea, but trial-out period is not an option because of our work schedule.

If you pull him out all together, what will you do about work?

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:20 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
greenfire wrote:

She said he likes the place.

well I had trouble believing it ...

tzatza

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 10:26 am
He likes it there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics