Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Day Camp has no transportation

amother

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 10:54 pm
My child is going to day camp this summer that does not provide bus transportation. My neighbor called me to see how my child is getting to camp. I responded that I would love to put together a car pool so everybody could take once a week. She answered me that she has no time for it because she has to drop off her younger child a half hour before this one. Am I obligated to take her child in a car pool if I put one together (and she is not recripricating) or am I obligated to take her child every day with my child if I don't form a carpool before camp starts? I don't want to be nasty but is this fair?

louche

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 11:31 pm
You're under no obligation to this person whatsoever, though it would be a great chessed to the child if you did take him. If you can get together a car pool that fills your car, then you can say with perfect truth that your car pool is full. Or you can include this woman's child in the pool and charge her for the transportation service. She'd have to pay for the bus or van if the camp had one to your neighborhood. There's no reason for you to feel obligated to provide a free service. Car pools are "free" because everyone participates. If someone isn't participating by driving, then she should participate another way--like by paying.

I'd beware, though--if she has to drop off her other child, would she be dropping off this child at your house well before departure time? IOW, would you be providing free babysitting each morning? If this neighbor is the type to take advantage of people, you must protect your own interests.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 11:58 pm
I can give you apoint of view from the other side. I was stuck since I was desperate for driving arrangements for my baby 2 days a week. it was very hard finding somone who was willing to carpool (like I would take other days) or I would pay them for those 2 days, either way. it still didnt work. finally one mom said she would take her but she didnt want/need me to drive her kid, she liked taking him although I offered, and she wouldnt accept money just did the favor.

you can ask her about payment if you feel comfortable. or if maybe one day week she can do carpool. I think it makes sense to chip in somehow.

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:20 pm
this isnt just a favor this is a commitment, meaning you have to be on time, every day.
If you want to, you could offer to take her child and charge her $75 month or whatever...

I think thats fair.

Or you dont have to bring up the discussion again and just take your child every day...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children