Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Improving my school

Frum

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 12:13 pm
Dear Imamothers,

I am looking for your advise.

I teach in a very smalle Beth Ya'acov school. The high school dep. has only about 20 girls, so there are about 5 girls in each class. The management of the school is very poor. Promises aren't kept, the people in charge are never present, rules aren't observed. I would describe the situation as complete chaos.

Worst of all is that my students are extremely disillusioned about all this, and are not willing to show an effort from their side if, in their words, the school doesn't also commit to doing what they should be doing. They are right about the problems they signal, although their response is destructive.

I would really like to break out of this negative cycle. Do you have any ideas how I could

a) tell the management to change
b) make sure the rules are lived up to
c) improve the atmosphere
d) give the children something positive to work on, achdus or middos programs, anything

I am not the one in charge, I am just a simple teacher that can't take it anymore to see these precious neshommes being ruined by a lack of hanhala.

Your suggestions and ideas are very welcome!

morahl

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 7:34 am
Hi,

The change will have to come from the parents. Here's how to achieve this without getting into trouble.

This year I began by sending a letter to all my parents with a request for their phone and e-mail addresses. I group e-mailed all my parents and students regularly. I talked in a positive way about what we are learning, explained projects that I had assigned, announced the dates of tests, complimented the girls as a group, etc.

The parents started communicating with me, asking questions, making suggestions, or requesting that I allow so and so to be late on her homework, and even thanking me! Since I had established a relationship with them, they sometimes would complain about the school. I would urge them to ,"Please call the menahel - if enough parents complain, the school will have to change".

Parents without e-mails would get calls from me, with positive information and compliments about their children. One more important thing. Hang classroom rules up in your class. The girls can help you decide what are the rules - not too many (five or six ). At least in your class they will feel safe and know what's expected. Phrase the rules in a positive way - "Always raise your hand to ask a question", rather than, "Don't talk out of turn". Good luck - let us know how things go!

PS Be sure to use spell check on your e-mails!

Frum

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 7:03 am
Thanks for your replies!

Merelyme~ I teach all classes ages 12-17, twice a week. The interesting thing is that the school usually backs up everything I organize. I tend to come up with projects that are creative, or at least different from what the school is used to, and surprisingly they appreciate what I am doing. I just feel there is too much negativity for me to fight on my own. Parents complain, teachers complain, but at the same time they don't do their effort to make things better. Teachers say how bad the school is, but don't show up on time or don't participate in meetings and extra curr. activities.

Morahl~ Thanks for your ideas. One problem in the school is that each class has its own room, so the teacher is the visiting party in stead of vice versa. So I don't have an option to post rules in my class. The school rules are clear, but there is nobody to see whether the girls live up to them. If one teacher tells them to put their hair in a ponytail, they will undo it again after the bell rings because nobody pays attention. Etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics