Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Eliyahu Eliezer

amother

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 6:54 am
What's your opinion of it?
Know anyone with that name? What are they known as?

We generally call kids by their full names. However, if we'd name a kid eliyahu eliezer, it seems like it would be quite a mouthful to say all the time- agree or not? What would you do if you bishita call by full names and not just one name or nicknames, but you want to name after someone named "Eliyahu Eliezer"? Would it make a difference to you if the eliyahu eliezer you were naming after was called by a nickname, and if so, would you say calling them by the same nickname is also ok?

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 6:58 am
We b'shita also call the full name. We asked our Rav what to do about Rivka, since she is named after my grandmother a'h and her full name was Rivka Gittle (and I couldn't see myself calling her Rivka Gittle all the time). He said it was fine to just call her Rivka. We do call Avraham Tzvi by his full name all the time, and it deson't even seem like a mouthful anymore. In fact when we have an appointment and they call "Avraham" I look around for a minute trying to figure out who they want, then I realize it's him Very Happy.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 7:03 am
It was one of the reasons we went with Avraham Tzvi instead of the other 2nd name we were considering. I think the OP should ask her Rav what to do in this case. Some hold it's enough to just use the full name 1x a week and I know people who davka call their kids by their full names at the Friday night meal to "discharge" this obligation.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 7:45 am
Avrohom Tzvi is quite common but Eliyahu Eliezer is indeed a mouthful. It's a nice name, though. Just recently I heard about someone with this name but I don't know how he's called. If you want to call by both names, maybe a nickname like, Eli-Lazer (but then it's sound like only Eliezer) or Yohu-Lazer or Yuhee-Lazer (if you're chassidic).

imamama

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 4:03 pm
I love both those names individually. But they don't sound so great together. Sorry.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 9:17 pm
I know an Eliyahu Eliezer--named for the Michtav Me'Eliyahu.
He's in his early 20s now and was always called Eli.

I happen to like the name a lot. We even considered it briefly but then ended up using just Eliyahu because we wanted my son to be named for ONE person and not 2.
(I had a grandfather Eliyahu and dh had a grandfather Eliezer..)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 9:27 pm
Are you naming him for someone with that name? If so, especially if you have warm feelings and/or are making any bubbies and zeidies happy, absolutely no problem IMO.

louche

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 11:26 pm
Too many syllables, awkward to say, doesn't flow well, sounds like you're stuttering. add a surname and it'll take till tuesday to introduce to him to people in shul on shabbos. either one or the other is fine, both together is too much.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 12:41 am
fayge wrote:
Are you naming him for someone with that name? If so, especially if you have warm feelings and/or are making any bubbies and zeidies happy, absolutely no problem IMO.
To louche, see this. Yes. Even though I think the name is beautiful, and its after someone special, I AM concerned about the mouthful though.

louche

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 1:27 am
amother wrote:
fayge wrote:
To louche, see this.

You asked for our opinions. I gave you mine. I didn't say you have to accept it.

Personally I think the idea of asking the advice of total strangers as to what to name your child is...well, let's just say "not something I would do." But if you do ask, you have to be prepared to hear things you may not agree with or like.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 1:41 am
louche wrote:
amother wrote:
fayge wrote:
To louche, see this.

You asked for our opinions. I gave you mine. I didn't say you have to accept it.

Personally I think the idea of asking the advice of total strangers as to what to name your child is...well, let's just say "not something I would do." But if you do ask, you have to be prepared to hear things you may not agree with or like.
Oh sure. That is why I asked. Because I see people get used to their kids' names, even those that are mouthfuls. But I was suspecting a reaction something like yours, which is why I'm hesitant to use it. Which is why I want to know if people know Eliyahu Eliezers, and if they all went by nicknames, or if not, did people get used to that mouthful or not....

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:40 am
Like someone else said, worked for the Desslers ;-)

You know, when all's said and done, even if you have a solid minhag to name after relatives, parents have the ruach hakodesh. If you are this hesitant, don't use the name this time.

louche

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:01 am
fayge wrote:

. If you are this hesitant, don't use the name this time.

Agreed. There are things you have your doubts about that you have to just go ahead and do, but naming your kid isn't one of them. When naming your kid, you should be 100% comfortable with it or it's a no-go.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:29 pm
You'll probably end up calling him Eli, which is the logical thing in my humble opinion. However, when you are in a playful mood with him, you can call him Eli-Eli. That would be like his nick-nick name. (I'm in a playful mood myself right now, guess that's why I wrote that.)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:38 pm
I've often wondered about that - doesn't the Eli in Eliyahu and Eliezer mean my G-d?
And so, how can we pronounce it that way - especially the nickname Eli? Shouldn't it be Keli? (or Keli-Keli?)

Why can we even say Eliezer, and not have to say Keliezer?
weird question, I know, but I have really wondered!!!

Atali

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
I've often wondered about that - doesn't the Eli in Eliyahu and Eliezer mean my G-d?
And so, how can we pronounce it that way - especially the nickname Eli? Shouldn't it be Keli? (or Keli-Keli?)

Because you are not intending to say Hashem's name, but the person's name.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:18 pm
Atali wrote:
amother wrote:

Because you are not intending to say Hashem's name, but the person's name.

The same reason why people are supposed to write out the whole name "Eliyahu" when they're writing it in Hebrew and not just the Alef-Yud-Hay because that indicates you're writing Hashem's name and you're really meaning to write the name of the individual named Eliyahu.

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 12:21 am
Amother, I had a rav in sem who used to joke about a fafrumpta guy whos name was eliyahu, but he had everyone call him Kelikaku, so as to not say sheim hashem.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:48 am
Louche, the funny thing is that while I told my daughter and SIL that the name game was totally their domain, I myself didn't do this once. One of my kids has a slightly unusual name, probably a diminutive of a similar name that I LOVE. I really wanted to give her the name I love, but decided to use the original name, as we'd been so consistent in following DH's family minhag.
No regrets. This DD is just like my SIL with this name, all her wonderful qualities, and we made my FIL happy. Not enough of a reason if parents have reservations, but it's lovely to make people happy when there aren't any.

P.S. Anyone want some ginger kale?

leomom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 8:20 pm
fayge wrote:

P.S. Anyone want some ginger kale?

That sounds good! Can I have the recipe? (Greens are so healthy!) Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names