Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yitta - where does this name originate from

amother

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 12:17 pm
I had a grandmother named Yitta. Spelled yud, vuv, tess, alef. My dd is named after her and I am curious to know the meaning of this name. Is it yiddish, changed from a secular name or maybe a variation ofa hebrew name?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 12:26 pm
I was told that Yetta comes from Yocheved...Yitta and Yetta seem pretty close to me.

(I could be totally wrong, this is just what I was told!)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 12:28 pm
Yitta is from Yehudit as far as I know, but these names are machlokes lol

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
I had a grandmother named Yitta. Spelled yud, vuv, tess, alef. My dd is named after her and I am curious to know the meaning of this name. Is it yiddish, changed from a secular name or maybe a variation ofa hebrew name?

I'm just wondering if you thought of researching this before you named your dd??

amother

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 2:36 pm
My jewish name is Yitta, and it's spelled exactly the way you mentioned. I have no idea what the source is, but it's definitely NOT the same as Yehudit. I'm named after a great-grandmother.
My secular name is Judith.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 9:06 pm
I am a Yitta in Yiddish, named after a great aunt, my Hebrew name is Yehudit

elf123

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 10:38 pm
Ruchel, my mother's middle name is Yenta, which she has told me comes from the French "gentille." Wondering if you know if there's any truth to this?

momsprince

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 10:47 pm
elf123 wrote:
Ruchel, my mother's middle name is Yenta, which she has told me comes from the French "gentille." Wondering if you know if there's any truth to this?
My grandmother says Yenta means princess in German but I really wouldn't know for sure.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 8:40 am
elf123 wrote:

Yes. But "gentille" at this time meant "noble", not "nice".

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 8:41 am
momsprince wrote:
elf123 wrote:
My grandmother says Yenta means princess in German but I really wouldn't know for sure.

This would be Prinzessin, which I did find in some archives as a Jewish name.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 10:46 am
How does Yehudis have a connection to Yitta? op. here.
Ruchel- A while ago you posted a link of a Jewish names website. can you please post it again so I can look it up? TY

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 1:41 pm
Yehudit -> Yehudis - > Yidis ->Yitta

Two good sites about Jewish names are the Jewish section of Behindthename, and http://www.jewishgen.org/datab.....ames/

merelyme

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 1:55 pm
momsprince wrote:
elf123 wrote:

This would be Prinzessin, which I did find in some archives as a Jewish name.[/quote]

Yenta or Yentl comes from the name Gentilia (genteel), which translates to Adina or Aidel.

shosh

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 3:33 pm
My grandma was Ita. Is that also a variant of Yitta? Come to think of it, she had an aunt called Yetta ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names