Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bedtime for a family of more than 4 little children...

amother

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:52 pm
Anyone else out there with this scenario?
4+kids KA"h under the age of 8 all needing lots of attention at bedtime (attention that I am happy to give, just feeling a little weary) - bedtime takes over 2 hrs (if I'm luck) staggering each child's bedtime and giving them their special time in bed with mommy.)
I don't want to give up on that special time...just wondering if thats how long it takes others to do bedtime and looking for some positive reinforcement....

goldrose

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:53 pm
amother, good going! if there's one time of day you can get all those little "secrets" out ofyour child, and they'll unburden on to you, it's BEDTIME! just five-10 minutes per child!! good job!

marineparkimma

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 8:23 pm
hi amother... what's perfectly normal for one family may not work for another one... bedtime should take as long as you want it to take and you can adjust it according to your and your children's needs... personally, I love bedtime preparations- we have a whole nighttime procedure: bath/shower, warm sweet milk for everyone (we call it "chalav/milky" because we speak heblish...), everyone does a cheshbon hanefesh, everyone relates their favorite part of their day, then we read/tell a story, kiss the mezuzos and say layla tov to each other and say krias shema, sing hamalach hagoel and hamapil, and after everyone finishes ameining each other I put for them a tape (singable seder, the longest pesach, etc.) and I wake up about 5-7 hours later and start my day...!

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 8:29 pm
Quote:
4+kids KA"h under the age of 8

How about 3 kids under the age of 3 I've had that scenerio twice Tongue Out so I know what you r going thru b"h Wink Yep take one day at a time and you'll enjoy them alot more Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 8:50 am
Quote:
How about 3 kids under the age of 3 I've had that scenerio twice so I know what you r going thru b"h

Thanks for the empathy.
Actually I had 4 kids under the age of 4!) and though bedtime was hectic it never took 2 hours! Now that they are older, they have a lot to talk about and because they are in school for such a long day we have a lot to catch up on. The mom who's kids need 5-10 minutes to hear their kids' stories - wow! My kids remember things way after I put them down, and rarely at the time that I am lying with them in bed...

(this is for another topic - why does the school day have to be so long for 5/6 yr olds ).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics