Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Observing Tisha b'Av at work

chanahlady

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:26 pm
Do you do anything special? Sit on the floor with your computer keyboard in your lap, maybe?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:28 pm
wow such a good question, I didnt even think about it.. esp since last year was on a sunday so I didnt have to work.

anyone?

ss321

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:37 pm
llast year wasnt a sunday it was a wed IIRC.
gosh. It is so annoying to have to go in tomorrow. I just figure at least I get to go to eicha tonight which is more than alot of mothers get to do around here. Sad
in terms of doing things differently....uh, I am planning on wearing sneakers instead of loafers?
no sitting on the floor.

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:02 pm
Last year was DEFINITELY a Sunday; it was the first day of the August daycare break, and they work up to August 8th...which last year was a Friday (this year it's Shabbat)...

I have a footstool I keep under my desk; today I'm sitting on it until chatzot (yes, I can still reach). And it was an excuse to come into the office in Crocs. Most of my department is not working today.

katb

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 1:20 am
that just would not be acceptable where I work but luckily they let me work from home today

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:21 am
Dunno how people manage sitting on the floor in the office. That's why I take a morning off. I actually had to come in a bit before chatzot, (a rather unavoidable circumstance, got a heter for it) but was told it's better to stand up on the tube instead of taking a seat.

I'm wearing a pair of slip-on plims (cloth and rubber) that looks slightly more professional than flipflops or crocs. The hardest bit is no makeup (I do look pale) not to greet co-workers, and OH ALL THOSE PEOPLE HAVING LUNCH /COFFEE at their desks...

chanahlady

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:27 am
I am sitting in my regular seat, wearing Converse sneakers in the office, and yes, also trying not to think of coffee. I would have tried to find a crate or something to sit on, but it would just be too weird in my office. I don't want to stand out.

I have to greet co-workers, though, as I work in a non-Jewish environment and it would be considered rude if I didn't. But I keep it down.

cassandra

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:49 am
Today is the first tisha b'av my husband had to go into the office, and I told him that after everyone sees him today they'll understand why he takes off every year for it.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics