Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Tzis tzis

Ashrei

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 9:53 pm
I'm almost positive this topic has been discussed a lot, but nothing seems to come up in my search...

Could I please have some tips on how to wash my husband's tzis tzis? (Ideally NOT by hand.)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 10:03 pm
I wash them on cold, in my bra load, in a mesh bag, with special bra wash that makes them smell good. cold /gentle, then hang to dry. dh wears only wool and he tends to smell like a wet sheep otherwise.

anonymom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 10:06 pm
try spelling it like this: tzitzis

I gather the strings together and slip them inside a nylon knee-hi. Then tie a knot right through the knee hi with all the strings inside. Throw in washing machine.

Bliss

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 10:59 pm
I used to hate washing dh tzitzis until I discovered that you can wash it in the machine on gentle cycle. It needs a good iron thereafter and I will admit that it never comes out as smooth as it would after a hand wash.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 11:54 pm
I use a tzitzis net bag that I bought at the Judaica store for $3. The tzitzis wash beautifully in the machine with this tzitzis string holder/bag. (Talking about the white tzitzis, not the wool ones.)

Ashrei

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:07 pm
anonymom wrote:
try spelling it like this: tzitzis

I gather the strings together and slip them inside a nylon knee-hi. Then tie a knot right through the knee hi with all the strings inside. Throw in washing machine.

That is so clever! So I think I'll do that, then put the whole thing in a mesh bag, wash on gentle and hang to dry...

Thank you. Smile

sky

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:20 pm
Even in a mesh bag I find the strings tangle.

What works best for me is to put foil around the strings. THe problem is then the strings don't get clean - but they do stay untangled.

Or I tie a slip not at the bottom of all the strings. The area of the knot also does not really get cleaned.

I still always put in a mesh bag when washing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:28 pm
http://www.jewishbazaar.com/wash-tzit-bag.htm

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:45 pm
tie up the strings withing a sock - if they are mobile they get tangled ... I iron them while still damp ... including the strings ...

freidasima

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:51 pm
Dh and the boys only have the lightweight mesh tzitzis so I use hand washing soap and do them in the sink.

Shendellah

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:54 pm
My DH tzitzis comes with little pockets in the inside to tuck the strings in...it works pretty well except I do have to untangle the strings a little before I hang it up to dry.

momaholic

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 1:32 pm
I put the strings in a plastic storage bag and tie the bag, and put it in the gentle cycle. This way they don't get tangled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry