Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hachnosos Orchim

amother

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 4:16 pm
I am wondering what falls into the category of "hachnosos orchim". Is it only when someone has no place to stay/eat or would inviting your friends/family over be included in the mitzvah? Reason asking is because I am not the greatest cook (still learning, poor luck so far) and dont enjoy having guest for that reason. Dh on the other hand,loves it and it makes him upset that we dont have guest as often as he'd like. I'm not talking about when someone has no place to stay, I would never tell such a someone no, but when dh decides one shabbos out of the blue that he wants to invite his friend for a meal,and I say to him that I'd rather not....I'm wondering if I'm "oiver" on the mitzvah?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 5:30 pm
Ask the rov.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 7:00 pm
You are not oiver. it's a kind of trick mitzvah and I think only Avrahem Avinu physically chased down orchim.

The secret to stress free cooking is to have a well stocked freezer. Always have sauteed onions in the freezer as well as clear chicken soup. With that, you can whip up magic. Also, I'd love to lovingly teach you! Where are you located?

ROFL

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 7:11 pm
Try to make an easy shabbat. I think that freinds like to come over for the freindship and the nice social atmosphere. There is so many easy receipes you can make so chill out and just have fun !!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 1:10 am
Shaklee mom, thanks for the offer Very Happy Its not the cooking thats the stress,if I'm making fish, another few slices wont make the difference.Its the fact that I'm not confident in my cooking that stresses me out. As I said, Im not a good cook and that is a problem. Dh told me that I'm not mekiyim the mitzvah of hachnosos orchim so I was wondering if random invites falls into that category

amother

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 1:35 am
Sorry I don't have an answer to your Hachnosos Orchim question, but have you tried any of the recipes from Quick & Kosher?
Most of them are fool proof and delicious.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 9:22 am
I wish we would have had more guests, even before I became a good cook. If you have to, have some prepared stuff so no one will starve. Make tried and true recipes, don't be shy about asking people for their recipes (your mother in law will LOVE you ;-) as well as help while making them. Hatzlacha.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 9:37 am
you can have as many onions in the freezer as possible ... but that is no magic solution to being a good cook ... although why would anybody freeze onions ?!?!?!

have guests and get take-out food ... problem solved Idea
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics