Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Late to School
Previous  1  2

jewgal84

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 7:27 pm
Elise- Great site, I love the board markers and a whole bunch more, I especially liked the decorating your own room.. lol I always wanted to be an architect! Very Happy

gryp

Post Sat, Sep 24 2005, 6:16 pm
Quote:
And lucky, Motzei Shabbos is always a late night in our house too. I need a little recuperation time after Shabbos before I start with cooking and serving again for Melave Malka, noone wants to eat Shabbos leftovers, my "bosses" say it's gotta be fresh and milchig too, so the required waiting time has to have passed etc..
But it's also a special time, we watch a video of the Rebbe, everyone listens to a shiur Chassidus on the radio and finishes any chazarah they have to for tests the next day.
Then getting up on time becomes a feat the next morning

SaraYehudis, ive been thinking about this for a while and just wanted to share what R' Tzeitlin impressed upon us at one of his farbrengens in sem. if you are sitting at a farbrengen and its getting later and later, and you want to stay longer but you know it will make you late for school the next morning, the Chassidishe thing to do is to leave the farbrengen so you will be on time the next day!

ForeverYoung

Post Sat, Sep 24 2005, 7:19 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
Thanks Elise, it sounds really good. I can't wait to try it!

And lucky, Motzei Shabbos is always a late night in our house too. I need a little recuperation time after Shabbos before I start with cooking and serving again Exclamation for Melave Malka, noone wants to eat Shabbos leftovers, my "bosses" say it's gotta be fresh and milchig too, so the required waiting time has to have passed etc..

But it's also a special time, we watch a video of the Rebbe, everyone listens to a shiur Chassidus on the radio and finishes any chazarah they have to for tests the next day.

Then getting up on time becomes a feat the next morning.

If your kids have school on Sunday, they should be in bed on time on Shabbos.
It is not fair of you to expect them to get up on time & all exited to face the deay if they went to sleep who knows when.

My 'yeshiva bohur' is in bed betw 7:30 & 8 no matter what!

To make it easyer for the little ones, do not start anything untill they're in bed and kep the volume down.

And if you're tired, u can put your foot down & tell them that they can cook themselves if they want non - leftovers (or eat sereal w/ milk).

As far as the morinings go - make it his responcibility.
Have a talk with him, explaining that he is a big boy and is responcible for being ready on time.
Invest in a large, easy to read clock(s) and explain to him by when he has to be ready.
You migh want to have an on-time chart and give rewards for the full chart (and withdraw privileges when appropriet)
The picture schedule idea sounds GREAT, and you can add pictures of the clock to them, showing by when each job has to be finished.
You also might want to invest in a timer, which you will set for getting dressed, eating breakfast, etc.
Enlist teacher's help - rewards 4 on-time!

Good luck!

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 8:28 am
I just thought I would update all of you about our progress with the late problem. My son now goes to sleep never later than 9:15, and tries to be in bed by 8:30. He wakes up on time now, no later than 7:00, many times earlier. ( I have two early birds and he gets up with them.)He's out the door about 10 minutes before he needs to, arriving at school either on time or 10 minutes early.

How did we do it? Really, his Rebbi gets the credit! He's quite strict, and the kids have to fill out on their homework sheet what time they went to sleep the night before. Anyone who's in bed the latest by 8:30 gets a stamp for a special chart, with a raffle they can enter for some prize or other.

He's a very consistent teacher, so the kids don't get off light when they don't do homework. And part of the homework is writing the bedtime!

Thanks for all your ideas. (when he goes up to another teacher I might need them again! LOL )

jewgal84

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 12:54 pm
Hey SY- Glad to hear it all worked out!

Hopefully your son will now handle the responsibilty more and you won't need new techniques or advice when he goes with another teacher, hatzlacha Very Happy !

raizy

Post Mon, Jan 02 2006, 6:56 pm
my sil has the same program in her sons class. only it is the whole elementary involved. charts in all. they have to fill out a chart when they went to sleep every night.. I cant wait for my son to start it. he is up right now and it is 9:55 p.m.

I decided since he is up anyways he should help me clean up the toy room.. haha I will put him to good use. Very Happy

Tila

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 10:59 am
This is how our school dealt with it:
The grades 3-6 are on the third floor and can access only by one stairwell. At the top of the stair well sits the Rabbi with pen in hand writing down the late comers name, thern this latecomer has to reprt to school by the latest 7:45 am, or have a dtention!
TRUST me this works! I got my tushy in gear to get my kids out the door on time!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children