Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I need laundry chizuk!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 12:51 am
I just can't take it! We do several loads of laundry, wash them, dry them, fold them. Yomtif comes in, so no time to bring up and put away. Shabbos ends, the laundry baskets are already full. The other clothes are not even upstairs yet!!!!

It's not the washing, or the drying or the putting away. It's the carrying up and down and the fact that there' never satisfaction, because at the end of the day, there's always more clothes. and more and more and more and more and more...

bnm

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 1:23 am
I shouldn't talk because my piles are making marks on the ceiling...

Blair

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 2:01 am
Take a deep breath tackle a small portion at a time. Put away some laundry and go and do something else hang a load and put in another load. It will all get done and then there will be more laundry again that's just the way it goes. Try not to think about it focus on the wonders of Hashem and all the other wonderful things in your life such as your children and your husband and how fortunate you are to have them. There are plenty of women who would love to be complaining about to much laundry. Just be so thankful for what yo really do have.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 1:37 pm
that's why I only do laundry once a month ... get lots of undies ... Mr. Green

amother

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 2:41 pm
I always think of laundry as magic. No, I am not caught up. Sometimes it sits clean in baskets in the laundry room way too long or in piles that are not put away properly. Still, dumping all that stuff into a machine, pushing a few buttons and voila. I love the smells and I love the warm clothes from the dryer. I always think of the poor women who went to the river or my mom who used to shlep the clothes to the basement of the apartment building we lived in sharing the 1 washer and dryer with other families. I know of someone's mother who boiled their clothes in big pots on the stove. What a drag. I feel so lucky. If I could afford the renovation I would put the laundry room on the bedroom level of the house as that's where all the clothes live. I have friends who have laundry rooms on the bedroom level and they love it. Taking it up and down to the basement is not fun (but it is good exercise!). When I was a kid, a friend of mine had a laundry chute in their bathroom and it was connected to the basement. So cool. Today we would probably consider that a safety hazard.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 2:50 pm
How many loads must you do each day on average?

Laundry just is. I used to do 2 loads a week, now it's at least 1 load/day. I suppose it will keep growing, IYH.

Laundry chutes are great! My grandmother had one when I was growing up with one door on the 2nd floor and one on the 1st and it bottomed otu into a basket in the basement/laundry room. I'm not sure what your family is like, but is there a possibility of involvign children in this responsibility (those old enough do help, or do their own laundry, etc.)

Also, are the clothes gettin gput in actually dirty? If not, hang them back up for another wear. Is there a way to make a routine or system so that you've set aside a zman kavua to do this? Then it's always there and not "one more thing to deal with".

Yup, I have 2 floors and a basement (where the wash is) and no possibility of a chute or any changes here as I rent and there's no room anywhere else for a W/D. Hatzlochah! We feel your pain!

amother

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 2:53 pm
I do on avg 10 loads a week. I have a xlarge machine and it never ends. I sing the song. laundry never ends yes it goes on and on my friends someone starting doing it thinking it is fun and they will continue doing it forever just bc laundry never ends.

zigi

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 4:56 pm
uch so true! my pile is growing! I tried to do 4 large loads at the laundromat but then there was yuntif, and it looks like we are going on 6 loads, washing isn't so bad, I don't like bumping it up and down the stairs, but putting everything away takes forever, I always have a load that has to get put away,

when I was single had enough things to last a long time, now it seems like there is always something to wash. it grows from 1 item in the laundry to 3 loads in a blink of an eye

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 5:02 pm
My machine is really small, so if I want to have empty hampers, I have to do 2-3 loads per day! And if I skip, I am in trouble with full hampers (yes, plural).

Roche

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 5:57 pm
greenfire wrote:
that's why I only do laundry once a month ... get lots of undies ... Mr. Green

greenfire, youre hilarious! Rolling Laughter

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 1:51 am
Do what I did: put your dressers in the basement. I think every pipe that can support the weight of a clothing item on a tubular hanger is in use, as well. Rethink what is typical. Normal. A portion of our basement morphed into our household's clothing closet.

Queeniemom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 7:19 pm
I make one day laundry day, I fold the clothes while I watch a good tv show or listen to music. I walk around with my ipod while I put the clothes away. Somehow being distracted gets me through it. And I am so proud when I can see the bedroom floor!

Nicole

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 10:23 am
This may be annoying for you to read, so I'm apolozing in advance but just for some perspective.
We live in a teeny aptmt with no washer and dryer. For me, laundry means loading bags full of clothing, shlepping detergent and children for a trip to the laundromat.
B'h you have a washer and dryer at home!
(Ok, kill me for my cheeriness...)

jerusalem-girl

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 10:27 am
Sorry, can't offer you chizuk, when, let's just say you're not invited to see my hamper.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 10:32 am
I'm with green.
Lots of undies.
I have two weeks worth for everyone.
Laundry gets done immediately, hung immediately, taken off as soon as dry, folded immediately and distributed immediately.
Mine and dh gets put away immediately.
The kids...ah the kids...there it can sit on their whatever for a week, two weeks, three weeks.
I have learned to close doors and not look.

mommyofnineka

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 11:30 am
I have learned to accept the fact that the hampers NEVER HAVE to be empty. I do 2-3 loads regularly and realize that I will never finish it all. This has made me feel a bit less stressed about the situation. A good friend of mine has a laundry basket in her laundry room with each child's name on it (and she has 8 kids Bli ayin hara). When taking the laundry out of the dryer, she sorts it immediately into the baskets of who each item belongs to. Then she only folds and puts away 1x a week, but if anyone needs any clean clothes, they know where to find what is theirs.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 12:56 pm
When ever I'm having a really hard time with my laundry. I just say: Thank g-d I have who to wash clothing for! Thank you Hashem for my kids and husband!!!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:08 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
Do what I did: put your dressers in the basement. I think every pipe that can support the weight of a clothing item on a tubular hanger is in use, as well. Rethink what is typical. Normal. A portion of our basement morphed into our household's clothing closet.

So where do you get dressed?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:10 pm
it's funny (or not so much) I went into the cleaning forum for laundry chizuk, found this thread and realized I started it! Smile

And btw, I used to not have a washer and dryer and would have to go to the laundromat with a baby who needed to be out of the stroller and do and lug and wash and fold and repeat...just having a hard time.

My whole house is a mess and no matter how much I clean (which isn't so much because my baby screams whenever I put him down) it is still dirty.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 12:11 pm
There is a saying: The hamper is never empty and the fridge is never full! Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry