Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do you wear to your son's bris?
Previous  1  2

Inspired

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 7:27 pm
Be Modest! wrote:
Why are you going to the bris? Many people b'shita don't....
Are you up to it?

Not quite many. Try some. A very specific population.
Most people do not have the minhag not to go to a bris b'shita.

I'll agree with everyone who said whatever is shabbosdik and fits. Usually not maternity for me.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 8:14 pm
Sky, how did the girdle set back your recovery?

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 10:28 pm
With my first I wore a long black slinky skirt and a maternity top.
With my second I wore a nice outfit--not maternity.

I had my sheitel done nicely, makeup, good jewelry--so that can dress anything up.

And whatever you wear must be practical for nursing because chances are, you'll spend most of the time nursing and NOT socializing.

pecan

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 10:59 pm
Sky, how could a girdle possibly slow down your recovery? On the contrary, I was told that wearing one would help my stomach muscles tone up.
My m-i-l has a flat stomach after all of her kids and she credits to wearing a girdle right after childbirth.

Anyway, I like stretchy knits for brisses. Or a suit that covers the flab.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:45 am
I am usually not that far along in my recovery to want anything restricting on my abdomen. I do not lose weight right away (at all). I usually wear a maternity shabbos outfit from my second trimester.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:15 am
Many of those who don't go don't do it beshitta but be exhaustion LOL

My dh has been to brissim, traditional, MO, JPF, yeshivish, Litvish, chassidish whatever, where the mother wasn't there. Sometimes no woman was there. Girls namings, even more often, unless it was a "later" one (2/4 weeks).

To my dd's naming I wore a regular "nice" skirt and "nice" top with a "nice" band. Pre preg clothes, the only good point in having been sick I guess lol. But it was D18 not early like a bris. Didn't have make up or jewelry, just too tired to do anything LOL

I personally, culturally, cannot imagine nursing in a shul. My dd slept during the whole thing anyway.

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:42 am
Ruchel wrote:

My dh has been to brissim, traditional, MO, JPF, yeshivish, Litvish, chassidish whatever, where the mother wasn't there. Sometimes no woman was there. Girls namings, even more often, unless it was a "later" one (2/4 weeks).

To my dd's naming I wore a regular "nice" skirt and "nice" top with a "nice" band. Pre preg clothes, the only good point in having been sick I guess lol. But it was D18 not early like a bris. Didn't have make up or jewelry, just too tired to do anything LOL

I personally, culturally, cannot imagine nursing in a shul. My dd slept during the whole thing anyway.

You make the mistake of assuming all brittot are held in shuls.

That said, both of my sons' were. Mostly because FIL was the Rav. One was even Shabbat morning. After both I sat in FIL's office and nursed. In fact, I had nursing company after DS#1's bris...his cousin is a week older and got hungry!

freidasima

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:48 am
Shabbos robes!
Most of the time that I know of the mother is at the bris but not in the room during the cutting, then she leaves. And comes right back to nurse afterwards.
Whatever you do make sure that what you have doesn't button in the back.
when my best friend had a boy I was a few weeks after having a baby and wasn't nursing but I still had milk. She had this long button up the back dress, the baby was screaming after the bris and she couldn't get the buttons open! I was still in post-maternity, whipped up my top and plopped her son onto me and he nursed for a few minutes. My youngest dd always complains that he got to nurse when she who was six weeks older, didnt, she was on bottles!

So whatever you do, no buttons up the back!

sky

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
Sky, how did the girdle set back your recovery?

It applied pressure to the are where I had internal stiches and opened minor cuts that had been healing. I'm not exactly sure. Until then I really felt like I was healing nicely and afterword I was in so much pain for a few days. it was very, very not worth it.

Metukah

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 9:47 am
Whatever I fit into, but not maternity. (I still had problems finding something to fit into at his pidyon haben, and now, 4 months later I'm still struggling). As for nursing, he fell asleep immediately after the bris for quite a few hours!!

Where I live most women do not attend their sons' brissim. Some have no strength and I've heard others say that people saying 'wow the mother's out a week after birth' can cause an ayin hora on the woman.

Ronit

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 10:17 am
I don't think it's a shitta, but it's accepted practice in my family not to attend.

By ds #1 dh wanted me to go & I really wasn't up to it. We were in the catskills & it meant travelling - FINDING SOMETHING TO WEAR- etc etc. He told me he remembered his mother going, but later when I asked her she said she never went. It was his aunts he remembered seeing at their sons brissim...

By ds #2 I had a c-sec, but felt rather good- still I didn't attend. I used that time to shower & pack myself (I went away to rest for a couple of days).

After the bris they brought him home to me to nurse. When he was crying there, he got a bottle.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 10:46 am
Marion wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

That's true. Many are at hospital.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:07 pm
fff

Last edited by MamaBear on Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:12 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Marion wrote:

That's true. Many are at hospital.

or on shabbos in your house (if no eruv)

NotSoNewKallah

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:14 pm
I wore a nice dress bought special for the occasion (my regular size) although I still wear it now on Shabbos or whatever.

Usually I would wear it with heelsand stockings, but by the bris I wore nice flats and knee highs or thigh highs (dont remember) because I had not gotten my staples out yet from the C section.

sgr

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 5:03 pm
A nice suit/Shabbos outfit in my regular size always have sheitel and nails done,makes all the difference to me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics