Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Climbing out of the crib

LeoRafi

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 10:44 pm
My twenty one month old son started climbing out of his crib. I thought at first, I will let him just cry it out and fall asleep outside of his crib. There is nothing dangerous in his room and I figured he would learn his lesson. However, he just bangs on the door and screams "mommy", he can last for at least 1 hour. The problem is that unless he is soooo enhausted he wont sleep in his crib! Tonight he went to sleep at 10:30!!!!! Anyone have any good solutions

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:38 am
Just keep putting him back, no eye contact, no emotion, just pick him up and put him back, tuck him in, etc.

I was too scared dd would hurt herself (bc she did the 2nd time she climbed out), that I gave up on the crib. I "bought" myself a few mos of her sleeping in the pack n play (which was harder to climb out of than the crib), but eventually I just had to give in to the toddler bed. She actually does respond by being put back in bed a few times. She also has a shtick. She has to have a sippy cup (water), and 4 books, and her blankie. But all in all, small price to pay bc she does stay in her room, even if she "reads" or "plays" for a little bit in her bed.

sammy

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 11:01 am
what about a crib tent? they are about 50 but worth the peace of mind.

NYmommy

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 1:00 pm
Crying I had same thing with dd (18 months) she would climb out more times then I care to remember ! I tried not to say anything just putting her back but she was out few seconds later. I purchased the crib tent & got my piece back! Worth every penny...

frumamn

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 1:04 pm
I second the crib tent suggestion. Some people don't like it cause they think it's like putting your kid in a cage, but it keeps them safe. Once my kids learned how to unzip the tent from inside the crib, I made sure they knew how to climb back in on their own, the lowered the side (to make getting in and out easier/safer) and just kept telling them to get back into bed. Once they learned that just because they can get out, doesn't mean they're allowed to, I moved them to a big kid bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics