Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Grilled chicken without grill?

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 4:49 am
How would I grill chicken if I don't have a grill? (I want to grill chicken with barbecue sauce for chicken wraps.)

I do have a broiling option in my oven, if that helps.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 5:24 am
I always thought broiling and grilling is the same sort of thing.

lizard8

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 5:53 am
Use a grill pan. They are inexpensive stovetop pans, similar to a frying pan. It has a ribbed bottom and most of them are non-stick. If you dont want to spend $ on a george foreman or a bbq grill, this is the way to go. Personally, I dont have one but my friends who do, love it.

Marion

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:09 am
I bought, for 100NIS, a stovetop grill. It sits over 2 of the gas burners and gets its heat from them.

ROFL

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:44 am
I used to use the broiler for grilling. You have to watch the chicken carefully since it can burn. I recently started to use a grill pan and I love it. The chicken is always moist inside and crispy outside. The only issue with the grill pan is washing it. It is hard to get in between the bumpy ridges.

fiddle

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 7:04 am
george foreman.

or else . I just put it in my oven on a higher rack(sprayed tray) on high for 20 minutes on each side, top heat only. put a drip pan underneath with foil so not too hard to clean. baste every 5 minutes to keep it juicy.

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 11:05 am
It seems that getting a grill pan is the way to go if I don't want to broil.
Thanks, y'all.

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 2:26 pm
Sherri wrote:
It seems that getting a grill pan is the way to go if I don't want to broil.
Thanks, y'all.

I highly recommend it. I absolutely love it and it cooks the food so quickly. I take chicken cutlets that have been pounded and dip them in a plate of some sauce (terriyaki usually) and put it in a hot pan without oil. Turn over after a few minutes and cook a little bit more. Great for Shabbat lunch, warmed on a plata or anytime in my salad or wrap.

Chicken wings in a spicy/sweet sauce are amazing and also cook pretty quickly. Hamburgers are perfect.

I use my pan about twice a week on average and bought it pesach time for 80 shekels, I think. The non-stick coating won't last too much longer though and I think I may invest in a better quality pan next time. Cleaning the grooves is easy though if you let it soak for a few minutes. I even brought this pan camping with a propane stove.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 4:05 pm
why can't you just use a regular fryiing pan instead of a grill pan? It should do the same job, without the cute black lines.

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:06 pm
Raisin wrote:
why can't you just use a regular fryiing pan instead of a grill pan? It should do the same job, without the cute black lines.
I think the taste is different, no? I am not so sure.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:10 pm
Sherri I don't know why, but the non stick coatings on the grill pans don't seem to last. It troubles me that some of it is ending up in the food.
I love grill pans. Let me know if you find one without a non stick coating.

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sherri I don't know why, but the non stick coatings on the grill pans don't seem to last. It troubles me that some of it is ending up in the food.
I love grill pans. Let me know if you find one without a non stick coating.

Yeah, pieces of that black uchy stuff sure is troubling. I'll go shoppin'.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:56 pm
Sherri wrote:
Raisin wrote:
I think the taste is different, no? I am not so sure.

if my oven is being used I often use a regular frying pan to grill steak or lambchops. Comes out fine.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 7:40 pm
You're right Raisin.
If you want to "grill' using a regular skillet/frying pan, heat the pan until smoking hot with the heat rising, and then pan sear or "grill".
I use this method with green beans and steak, and they come out great. The green beans even get "grill" marks.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 7:50 pm
I just broil if I don't grill outside ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey