Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Is it worth starting my 15 m.o. on a paci just for sleep??

goodgirl

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 3:36 pm
My son normally never took a paci. Now he sees them around the house from my other kids and has started liking them. he does not need it to fall asleep and is not addicted to it yet. however, he gets up reallly really early in the morning, in the 5:00 range and after doing this for a week already I have given him the paci out of desperation bec I needed the sleep. it worked like a miracle and he went back to sleep til 7. I have been doing this for a week, but now he gets up every day for the paci at 5 and goes back to sleep until 7. should I continue this just so that I can sleep or am I starting a very bad habit?? I really need my sleep and I dont know what else to do. any and all advise would be appreciated.
thanks!

tato

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 4:37 pm
Maybe put toys in his crib instead so if he wakes up he entrertains himself w that. I think at this stage in his life you are starting the bad habit too late. I took away the paci at around 9 months before he even knew the diff and BH didn't have to go through the weaning process...

Blue jay

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 6:31 pm
My kids still use the pacifier at night and they are 3! I dont think it as a bad habit just as long its not in your childs mouth all day long. Sleep is a wonderful gift! let him use the pacifier for 2 hours! Whatever works!

goodgirl

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 7:03 pm
toys are not going to help bec he will just play with them and wont go back to sleep whereas the paci puts him back to sleep and he gets the sleep he really needs. I want to know if it will ruin his teeth or if it really is soo bad if I strictly use it for bed time. I think once he starts havng it to fall back asleep, hell eventually start needing it to fall asleep too...I dont know what to do!!

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 8:33 am
If he doesn't need it to fall asleep don't give it to him to fall asleep--don't let him see one. Once he's in a deep sleep and right before YOU go to sleep place one in his crib so he'll find one when he gets up at 5 in the morning.
Then after you take him out of the crib, have him give the pacifier to you and make it disappear again.

goodgirl

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 12:20 pm
thanx for all ur replies. will me giving the paci to him only after he falls asleep make him start wanting it more often?? I dont want to get him addicted, but I do want him to use it to sleep more...can I limit it to only giving it in middle of the night or am I just teasing him?

jross214

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 12:34 pm
I have to disagree. It is unhealthy for toddlers to have pacifiers. Most doctors recommend you end it between 1 and 3 years old.

You are starting it at a time it should be ending. It is detrimental to their teeth, and bone structure in their mouth - remember they are constantly developing.

Perhaps you could give him something else? A toy, something with soothing sounds or music?

Either way, I would check with a good pediatrician.

Fuchsia

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 12:37 pm
It's better than a bottle, which is how my 3-year old falls asleep a few times during the night. I'm desperately trying to break the habit, though.

If nothing else works, maybe you can start it, but make it clear that it's only for that one time during the night and not for the entire day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics