Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Essentials for cooking
Previous  1  2

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 3:01 pm
chen wrote:
for what?

instead of so much foil like on pesach, how do you use less foil year round?

chen

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 7:34 pm
red sea wrote:
chen wrote:
for what?

instead of so much foil like on pesach, how do you use less foil year round?

not sure I understand the question. I use real cookware and bakeware. I wrap sandwiches in cereal box liners, bread bags and bakery bags. Wax paper or plastic containers if I have none of the above. I freeze in plastic containers or ziplok bags, which I also wash and reuse. I save foil pans from commercially prepared foods or from takeout and reuse those. If I do use a new foil pan (e.g. when baking in quantity and I haven't enough real pans) I wash and reuse the pans several times, till they either get holey or just too grungy. (soaking and a nail brush help get residue out of the crevices.)

goldhop

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 11:37 pm
Just make sure that any metal or glass utensils that are reused are toiveled (coffee jars and disposable alumnium pans included).

Crayon210

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 11:46 pm
Not everyone holds that they have to be.

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 11:49 pm
Ditto Crayon Tongue Out

goldhop

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:30 am
Why would a glass container that is reused a few times not have to be toiveled? How is that different from buying a new one?

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:48 am
For those that want to buy inexpensive china for Pesach, should check out restaurant supply stores. They're like warehouses and a lot of them are open to the public (do a search on the net)I got this idea from a show that had tips on Holiday entertaining. They have restaurant quality china , fancy glasses (like wine glasses) even silverware at the fraction of the price. They go as low as $1 / glass or small plate. This way also you can buy as many as you need and not worry about breaking one and having to run aroungd looking for a matching piece.

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:58 am
thanx 4 that info cindy, will come in handy!

SV

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 1:04 pm
For those of us with countertops that can't be kashered, a good thing to use is thick linolium cut out to the shape of the counters - it can be used for many years (my mother bought in National Wholesale Liquidator's)

ButterflyGarden

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 9:02 am
My mother-in-law has large pieces of plywood cut to fit her counters. She covers it with contact paper. Every few years she changes the design so she never gets sick of it. It's a one time expense (and it didn't cost that much to begin with) that she's been using for 19 years.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 9:14 am
cindy324 wrote:
For those that want to buy inexpensive china for Pesach, should check out restaurant supply stores. They're like warehouses and a lot of them are open to the public (do a search on the net)I got this idea from a show that had tips on Holiday entertaining. They have restaurant quality china , fancy glasses (like wine glasses) even silverware at the fraction of the price. They go as low as $1 / glass or small plate. This way also you can buy as many as you need and not worry about breaking one and having to run aroungd looking for a matching piece.

This does sound like a great idea. Since I'm not at all familiar with how these warehouses work, I'll ask what may be a stupid question. Could it be possible that any of these very low priced dinnerware might be "gently used" or second hand? Like how do I know it's brand -new, never used? (maybe I'm associating it with thrift shops).

chen

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 10:50 am
[quote="SaraYehudis"]
cindy324 wrote:
Could it be possible that any of these very low priced dinnerware might be "gently used" or second hand? Like how do I know it's brand -new, never used? (maybe I'm associating it with thrift shops).

Not a stupid question at all but an intelligent and incisive one. I don't know about restaurant-supply houses either, but I learned that one should not buy open-stock dishes from hardware stores b/c those could definitely have been used once or twice and returned to the store.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics