Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Double Stroller for Dummies

amother

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:13 pm
I've tried to wade through all of the double stroller threads, but they all seem to be looking for a different type of stroller than I am. If I give you what I'm looking for, can anyone give the names of several strollers that might work for me?

• for newborn and just-two toddler
  • good for shlepping in and out of car
  • doesn't need to be great for walking long distances or jogging
  • Can you get one that an infant carseat fits into? Or is that impossible in a double? If so, that's great.
  • Long lasting. I'd really love one that can last a while. I don't care about aesthetics - if the fabric fades, or even tears (assuming it's still functionable) that's fine. But I'd like the actually machinery to hold up for IY"H other kids as well.
  • Not sure about price yet. I was going to write that price is an issue, but there's always a chance that someone will offer to buy it for us as a baby present (they did that with our single). So...I guess all price ranges are great, but can you mention around how much they run?

Okay, I think that's it. Thanks all for your time! (Anon b/c I'm in my first tri and haven't told people yet!)

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:28 pm
I was happy with my maclaren - but years ago ... you kick up - for a double on each side - then fold and latch ... you unlatch to open then push down with foot both sides ... easy to do while holding a baby ... lays down flat too for sleeping ...

amother

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:30 pm
greenfire wrote:
I was happy with my maclaren - but years ago ... you kick up - for a double on each side - then fold and latch ... you unlatch to open then push down with foot both sides ... easy to do while holding a baby ... lays down flat too for sleeping ...

OP here - thanks Greenfire. Can you stick a carseat into it? (Or is that impossible in any stroller?)
And is a three-wheeler? (My impression is that not all three-wheelers are joggers, true?) How long did it last you? And was it expensive?

fiddle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:39 pm
http://celebrity-babies.com/20.....ller/

not my kinds stroller, but definitely along the lines ur looking for

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:42 pm
baby jogger city mini double is car seat compatible (with an add on)
maclaren twin techno is lighter but no car seat

phil and ted vibe is an inline stroller & folds with the second seat. I believe it takes a car seat.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:49 pm
OP Here - Thanks for the responses. I've seen a lot of City Minis around here - dh just mentioned to me recently that everyone seems to have one. (That's actually the only double stroller I know by name!)

Actually, I've only ever seen side by side strollers around here. Why would someone get an inline stroller? (I'm assuming that means one seat int he front, one in the back.)

Is the city mini the only one that's carseat compatible? And is the city mini very heavy and hard to lift in and out of a trunk. I"ll be doing it a lot, but I can get used to it as long as it's not TOO heavy. Hm, and do these fit easily into a trunk - fold up small enough?

fiddle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:58 pm
from the link I posted

Pros: The fold is amazing and painless. At 26 pounds, you’re not going to hurt yourself getting this in and out of the car. The stroller pushes beautifully and really handled well on the streets.

Cons: I would have liked a locking strap/bracket to make the fold more secure and compact.

Verdict: If you want a super lightweight double stroller with an effortless push, the Baby Jogger City Mini Double will deliver!

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:04 pm
fiddle wrote:
from the link I posted

Pros: The fold is amazing and painless. At 26 pounds, you’re not going to hurt yourself getting this in and out of the car. The stroller pushes beautifully and really handled well on the streets.

Cons: I would have liked a locking strap/bracket to make the fold more secure and compact.

Verdict: If you want a super lightweight double stroller with an effortless push, the Baby Jogger City Mini Double will deliver!

Thumbs Up
I love this stroller and I know you can get a car seat adapter for it as well. I didn't bother, but it is available.

SV

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:05 pm
http://www.toysrus.com/product.....28965

I LOVE this stroller. It doesn't take car seats though. But for that price....

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:15 pm
SV wrote:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3028965

Can you put a newborn in it?

SV

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:17 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
SV wrote:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3028965

Can you put a newborn in it?

yes it reclines fully. the only complaint I have about it is that the shades don't extend far enough

Classicookie

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:25 pm
I got this one
http://www.albeebaby.com/graco......html
I love it my car seat dose fit in it I find it easy to puch nice size basket I am able to go in stores in doorways with it its so easy to fold and open this one is the oldest model and its not a drop down basket but you can get the one that has one like
http://www.albeebaby.com/graco......html
I manage without it they also have a newer modle
http://www.albeebaby.com/grqutoduost61.html
its a really nice stoller but 8 pounds hever just the stoller so found it not worth the extra pounds also you cant beet the price I paid for mine

sympa

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:48 pm
if your carseat is made by peg perego, the aria double 60/40 is compatible. It's very lightweight, large basket, cheaper than most doubles, but... not great quality, might not last for that many kids.

Otherwise the city-mini double is your best bet. It does come with a carseat adaptor, but it sticks out rediculously. I don't know anyone who bought it and actually kept/uses it. It's easy to push, even with the uneven weight distribution, and isn't that heavy for a double in terms of getting in and out of cars.
Where we are, this is THE stroller people seem t be getting.

Graco used to make a side-by-side, but I've only seen it used as a hand-me-down, not in great condition, but useable, though I'm not sure they make ir any more.

Rodent

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, I've only ever seen side by side strollers around here. Why would someone get an inline stroller? (I'm assuming that means one seat int he front, one in the back.)

They tend to fold smaller than side by sides. Because they're narrow they fit through shopping aisles and doorways better and narrow sidewalks. The weight isn't unbalanced by children of different ages (most side by sides are actually designed for twins -- 2 of the same size). Older child can't touch and bother baby. I personally find they tend to have more storage space underneath also but maybe that's just ours.

We have both and I prefer front and back because I don't like the width of side by sides when out and about, takes up too much space. When we have 2 in the pram we prefer out inline (tandem). When I need all 3 in the pram I don't have a lot of choice, it's the double with toddler seat near the handlebars option.

Oh, and I think our tandem does take a car seat but I've never tried as we use convertible seats from birth (it's not recommended to use bucket seats for more than about 30 minutes in a stretch because the baby's oxygen levels drop because of the positioning, they should be flat). Ours is a Graco.

YummyMommy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 5:21 pm
I have Phil & Ted. It's not a regular tandem. Older child on top, younger underneath (in the basket actually). It sounds weird but it is the BEST (for me). And kids love it. If I am just taking the infant he whimpers and points to the bottom seat, go figure Rolling Eyes . Fits everywhere. Easy to fold. GREAT to wheel. Not too light, but not crazy heavy. Only prob is that with the doubles kit it is expensive. For me it was worth it. Also at that price the quality is really inferior. Use it everyday but definitely careful and hood is already frayed and zipper is broken and it's only 1 and 1/2 y.o.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics