Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
From Scratch Chicken Pot Pie

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:15 am
I love this recipe, no msg, no soup mix, bouillion cubes, no cream of whatever, etc...
I've made this with (1/2 recipe) of whole wheat homemade pie crust (no margarine)

Chicken Pot Pie ix (from allrecipes.com) You can look it up on their site for reviews. I've subbed shredded leftover chicken from chicken soup and it was great. Enjoy.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk

2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:15 am
I use plain soymilk instead of milk. And some parve "butter" (Garden something...) from Trader Joe's in place of butter. You could just use margarine....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey