Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Gluten free Rosh HaShana menue help needed :)

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:02 am
I just found out that my brand new SIL who has Celiac is coming the second night meal.

LOL So far the only cooking I have done is my challah, which won't help much.

I obviously have to make soup without matza balls...

I figure I can make a gluten free squash kuggel as well and maybe I should make potato kuggel whil I am at it. Chicken is safe any which way as are salads.

I can think I will make a honey sponge cake from a Pesach recipe for dessert. Generally I would do something like kokish cake to make something special, but I need flour free ideas.

What special and exciting foods can I make which are R"hSh appropriate, gluten free and will heat up nicely on the plata motzei shabbos? I am limited in energy but really want to make this nice. My SIL has never eaten in my house before.

Thanks!!

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:42 am
I'll try to dig up my GF brownie recipe...it uses potato starch instead of flour. Also, for the chicken, make sure any bought spices (or soy sauce!) is gluten free; in Israel this is easy because Misrad haBriut has a policy concerning gluten labelling. If you have Tamar Ansch's Pesach cookbook, you could do anything from there; it's all non-gebrokts & therefore also GF.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:43 am
what about things like poached fruit? compote?

These can be sweet, and quite delightful, and also it is a lighter option when into the second day of YT eating!

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 2:05 pm
Marion I thought that misrad habriut had done wonders with the gluten labeling as well, but just heard that event he gluten free soup mixes she doesn't use and there are rice cakes that are a problem? It seems that MSG isn't labeled as gluten even though it is?

I think I am okay on spices, mine are single ingredient spices, nothing funky, since we have other allergies here.

I need honey so I can start cooking. My oldest DD had a wheat sensitivity as a toddler - preschooler, so I have a couple recipes, but mostly I used Pesach recipes and that seems a bit odd on R'hSh Smile I guess what will be will be!

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 2:17 pm
Not eat Pesach foods on RH? Our main course for 2nd day is the brisket left over from Pesach. You think it's about time to take it out of the freezer? Tongue Out

Mazel tov on your BIL's chassuna. I was just reading about it in the shul notes yesterday.

We always serve kasha at our YT meals (except Pesach, of course), and that's a great gluten free side dish. Rice is also good, but you have to make sure that it's not enriched, because they add gluten when they enrich it. I usually make brown rice and fried rice for my YT table. Veggies are easy to make gluten free, and you might consider baked apple for dessert.

I Googled this bread recipe that looks really good, and could be adapted for challa. I have no idea how easy or difficult some of these ingredients are to find in EY. If it works well, you could also try it for kokosh cake.

Have fun!

-------------------------

GLUTEN FREE MILLET OATMEAL BREAD RECIPE

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup certified gluten free oat flour (you can pulverize oats in a food processor to make oat flour) *If you are sensitive to oat flour, try quinoa flour

3/4 cup millet flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/3 cup arrowroot starch* you can substitute cornstarch if you need to

1/3 cup sweet rice flour

1/4 flax seed meal (you can’t taste it and it adds fiber)

1 Tablespoon xanthan gum

3 eggs

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 packet active dry yeast+ 1 tsp granulated sugar for proofing yeast

1 Tablespoon molasses

3 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 Tablespoons butter or butter substitute, melted

1/4 cup plus 1 cup heated water (I heated my water to 120 degrees to proof the yeast)

DIRECTIONS:

Make sure all your dry ingredients (and eggs!) are at room temperature. Grease the bottom of a 10 inch loaf pan or two 8 inch pans. Heat the oven to 200 degrees and then turn off. In the bowl of your stand mixer (I used my paddle not my dough hook for this recipe), sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, mix eggs, molasses, vinegar, and melted butter together. Heat your water for proofing the yeast. I recommend 120 degrees. In a small prep bowl, stir together your active dry yeast and one teaspoon of sugar. Add 1/4 cup of the heated water to the yeast mixture. Let the yeast sit for 10 minutes. It should be foamy and active! If not, start over with another packet of yeast. Once your yeast is ready, add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Then add the yeast mixture. Then slowly add your water (should still be warm) to achieve the right consistency in your batter. Since different brands, flours, measuring techniques act different I do not recommend just blindly dumping in the rest of the water but adding gradually instead. The dough should be like very stiff cake batter. I beat my dough on high for about 15 minutes in my stand mixer. If you accidentally add too much water simply add a little rice flour until you achieve the dough consistency you are after. Put the dough in your prepared pan and place in oven to rise for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. You can put plastic wrap or a towel over the pan. My house is much too cold right now so I put mine in the oven so that the dough can rise. Once the dough has risen to the top of the pan, bake the bread for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees. As you can tell, I am big on thermometers.

Makes a delicious loaf of bread that is eaten in no time. My bread is always consumed within 2 days so I don’t know how long it lasts. I would not refrigerate this bread ( it might get soggy), but I would slice and freeze it for later use.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:42 pm
You could make an apple crisp/crumble, with oats. Most oat flour has other stuff mixed in, which may be a problem, so buy plain oats and put in the blender.

drumjj

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 3:58 pm
for someone who is learning about gluten for a baby who I was told not to give are oats not considered gluten?

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 4:15 pm
My understanding was, oats do not have gluten naturally, but even the certified oats and oat flour have been found to be contaminated with gluten, both because oats and wheat are typically grown very close to each other and because they share milling/grinding plants.

Has that changed in the last bunch of years?

Thanks!!

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 4:18 pm
imasinger wrote:

Makes a delicious loaf of bread that is eaten in no time. My bread is always consumed within 2 days so I don’t know how long it lasts. I would not refrigerate this bread ( it might get soggy), but I would slice and freeze it for later use.

Thank you! I am not sure I am up to searching down flours, xanthum gum, etc for RH this year, but IY"H I will have more opportunities and more koach and try it at some point soon!

Thank you!

MamaBear

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:22 pm
Honey roasted carrots would be nice. Any rice dish (maybe with dried fruit). For dessert you can make a tart, using ground nuts to make a nut crust and fill it with fresh berries. Or chocolate mousse.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 5:43 pm
I just made this chocolate torte for shabbos and it was good. very very chocolaty, but dh loved it. no complicated ingredients, no flour at all, and easy to make. I would serve it with a vanilla ice cream or sorbet, or fresh fruit.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....torte

ask her to bring her own lechem mishna...or maybe she just has to skip that.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:25 am
Ketchup and mayo are a problem, they both have vinegar, which is wheat distilled. And any dressing topping that contains vinegar is a problem (even Israeli salad can make an issue) You can buy rice or wine vinegar in almost any grocery to use as a sub.

Only use gluten free certified oats.

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 5:52 am
I make meatballs with no filler; straight minced meat/turkey/chicken. I make stir fry with no soy sauce. It's difficult, but not impossible.

tovasmom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:35 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Ketchup and mayo are a problem, they both have vinegar, which is wheat distilled. And any dressing topping that contains vinegar is a problem (even Israeli salad can make an issue) You can buy rice or wine vinegar in almost any grocery to use as a sub.

My celiac nutritionist here in the US has advised that distilled wheat vinegar has no gluten and therefore ketchup, mayo and even regular vinegar may be used, barring any other gluten ingredients. I don't know whether it is different in Israel. Many can tolerate the GF oats, my dd does, but not everyone, so with respect to the SIL, I would ask before serving anything with oats.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:45 am
Trust me, she’s probably so hyper vigilant that she probably won’t be easting much besides the chicken soup and the chicken without the sauce. My advice, do what you can but don’t kill yourself. Focus on simple chicken dishes: one great idea is to “bread’ the chicken cutlets with instant mashed potato from the box, and fry it. It’s quite yummy. You can also make a zucchini side dish, you can make zucchini spaghetti, and also look for kale chips recipe which tastes just like potato chips! (okay, potato is legal on the g.f. diet…) I’m getting sidetracked, here’s the link http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/

skcomputer

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 11:41 am
One thing that will probably help overall is to not make "special" foods for your SIL and call attention to her special diet - make the same for everybody so it is very natural. My daughter who is on a special diet is mortified when someone says - this is for YOU to eat. Gluten free recipes are tasty and healthy for everyone!

Here are some sides on my RH menu: Spinach kugel (cooked spinach, egg, sauteed onions, salt, pepper), green beans pomodoro (with diced tomato), roasted/spiced eggplant rounds, honey carrots, and spaghetti squash topped with sauteed multi-color peppers.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:26 am
tovasmom wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

My celiac nutritionist here in the US has advised that distilled wheat vinegar has no gluten and therefore ketchup, mayo and even regular vinegar may be used, barring any other gluten ingredients. I don't know whether it is different in Israel. Many can tolerate the GF oats, my dd does, but not everyone, so with respect to the SIL, I would ask before serving anything with oats.

Some people are more sensitive then others. The best would be to ask what she can have and work around her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur