Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Rosh Hashanah is Two Days Everywhere

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:40 am
Why isn't it three days in chutz la'aretz?

Atali

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:44 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Why isn't it three days in chutz la'aretz?

Because the reason for keeping two days of RH is the same reason that we keep two days of any other YT in chul, that we may be unsure of when rosh chodesh is.

The difference is that since those in E"Y should be able to find out when Rosh Chodesh is by the 15th of the month there is no reason to keep two days of any yom tov except RH, since even those in EY wouldn't be able to find out in time.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:50 am
is there never a 3 day yomtov on Rosh Hashano?

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:51 am
Sure...next year there will be. Thursday, Friday, Shabbat.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:52 am
bnm wrote:

yes, if the first day comes out on Thursday. Then its also 3 days in E"Y.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:54 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
bnm wrote:

yes, if the first day comes out on Thursday. Then its also 3 days in E"Y.

how do you Isrealies manage?!?!? for us, 2 days is normal, 3 days we start climbing walls and discuss halachos of taking showers.....

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:57 am
We manage by reminding ourselves that at least we don't have it 3 out of 4 weeks of Tishrei, that we get a Shabbat chol hamoed that feels like Shabbat chol hamoed, and we run to the Rav to confirm that we can wash in lukewarm water likavod Shabbat because of the hot weather, Friday afternoon before Shabbat! (OK, that's how we do it in my house!)

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:49 am
If your electric boiler is turned off and all your water is heated by solar, many rabbonim hold you can even use hot water to wash on Yom Tov, along with liquid soap, and do not squeeze water from your hair.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:53 am
Manage? We are too busy to think about managing. I'm still exhausted from RH - when do you people have time to climb the walls? (1st day = davenning, taking children to shul, first meal, mincha, a sleep, Seuda Shlishit, Tehillim, talking to the children, learning and playing with them. 2nd night = racing to wash dishes, heat up food, arrange candles, set table and daven before men got home from shul, meal, and bed. 2nd day = davenning, taking children to shofar, davenning, meal, mincha, Tashlich, looking after kids, Tehillim etc.) Believe me, the walls didn't even get a look in.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:56 am
shalhevet wrote:
Manage? We are too busy to think about managing. I'm still exhausted from RH - when do you people have time to climb the walls? (1st day = davenning, taking children to shul, first meal, mincha, a sleep, Seuda Shlishit, Tehillim, talking to the children, learning and playing with them. 2nd night = racing to wash dishes, heat up food, arrange candles, set table and daven before men got home from shul, meal, and bed. 2nd day = davenning, taking children to shofar, davenning, meal, mincha, Tashlich, looking after kids, Tehillim etc.) Believe me, the walls didn't even get a look in.

so not Rosh Hashonoa, we have 2-3 day Sukkos, Pesach.... the kids start climbing walls at some point.....

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:09 am
Isramom8 wrote:
If your electric boiler is turned off and all your water is heated by solar, many rabbonim hold you can even use hot water to wash on Yom Tov, along with liquid soap, and do not squeeze water from your hair.

Yes, I know. But every time I write that on Imamother I get made to feel like my Rav is an apikorus, and I didn't want to start the debate again.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:12 am
Marion wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Yes, I know. But every time I write that on Imamother I get made to feel like my Rav is an apikorus, and I didn't want to start the debate again.

nah, my father read to us from a chasidish halacha sefer that said simaler.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur