Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
My RH guest - didn't ruin my meal, but...

grin

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:03 pm
he didn't know the first thing about yidishkeit, his absolutely first time at a YT (or Shabbos table) and all, so he asked all sorts of questions, as to be expected. He was also quite socially inept, having been orphaned young and told us also that he had attended 9 different schools by the time he graduated HS. I don't remember most of his conversation or comments (I do remember him being shocked that all the children were ours) - I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my meal! It's only one guest for goodness sakes for one night out of my life. I told my children that it's a rachmanis.

He almost didn't know to leave after the meal (he wasn't meant to sleep over), he didn't seem to know that he was expected to leave after benching, instead situating himself on the couch to read a book that he took down from our bookshelf. I stood nearby, offering to lend him the book and BH he took the hint. I felt that we had a big zechus but was relieved that he was due to eat by us only that night - I don't think I would have had the patience for another!

pomegranate

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:06 pm
nebach. maybe he has no family and enjoyed your company so much he didn't want to leave..

freidasima

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:09 pm
We have had guests like that in the past and one ended sleeping over in the bathtub as it was the only place to sleep and dh said to him as a joke that if he wants to stay he can sleep over but in the bathtub...and he agreed.

We couldn't believe it. Gave him a pillow and a blanket and he slept there all night.
Good that we have a separate toilet and sink in another room.

Never again.
It was also a rachmones. The kids couldn't believe that we would agree. Told them it was either that or under the dining room table and if they didn't like it they could give up one of their beds and they could sleep in the bathtub.
Never again.

shosh

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:29 pm
FS, your story reminds me of the South African bochur who actually got more drunk than Adolf at the Shabbos meal (occasionally that did happen), and he passed out under the kitchen table. And he actually remained sleeping there till the following morning, much to the amusement of my kids who found him there!!!!

louche

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:15 pm
You ladies are saints. Absolutely saints.

grin

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 2:40 am
I for one am definitely not a saint. We often have guests that we meet for the first time when they walk through our door - 90% of them are perfectly delightful and add so much to our seuda. Once in a while, it's someone like this one - and I do think that pomegranate is absolutely right! so now b'zechuto I can appreciate my own family that much more.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 4:16 am

Last edited by pinktichel on Tue, Sep 22 2009, 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 4:17 am
grin,

How wonderful that you were able to start the year with such kind deeds. It takes maturity to take not easy guests. May that count as a BIG points in the cheshbon book for the new year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics