Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
YK Menu (incuding Shabbos Shuva)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:42 am
I figure that since YK falls on a Sunday this year, that's I'd cook for Shabbos and YK together. I juuuuust wonder if there is going to be complains that "we ate the same food for both meals on Shabbos, and now we have to eat it before YK too"?

Anyway...... I'll buy round rolls and have round raisin challah in the freezer. DH bought a case of wine so we have plenty of that, too.

I made an extra roll of fish when I boiled last week's, so I can can just slice it up and bake it with tomato sauce. I'm going to make a regular green salad, too, and serve it with bottled salad dressing. Then, baked potato kugel, baked thin lukshen kugel, and Shake and Bake type chicken. All of that is simple.

I gotta make kreplach for EYK, though, and defrost the soup I made a couple of weeks ago. I also bought herbs to put in the pitcher of water so everyone will be encouraged to drink.

In the freezer I have choc marble honey cake & apple honeycake

I'm gonna boil up some plain white rice, so I don't get a funky tummy from eating the wrong foods after the fast.

Then, I think we're done!

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:12 pm
I have no idea what I'm making for shabbos yet, but I think I'm going to do the same as you. Make extra of everything for before the fast.

I plan on serving before the fast:
Homemade challah rolls (in oven now)
Chicken soup
Kreplach

S&S chicken
rice
salad
spinach bourekas (done)
potato bourekas (done)

honey cake (done)

After:
zebra cookies
granola bars
banana cake
chocolate cupcakes (all in freezer already)

Juices

French onion soup
homemade croutons
shredded cheese

Homemade rolls
egg salad
tuna salad
lox
marg/butter
veggie platters

I'm keeping it really simple after the fast. EVERYTHING will be ready and just have to be put on the tables. Except, of course, the soup which I'll just stick on the burner to reheat.

katb

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:20 pm
I seem to recall from last year that you are not supposed to have fish for the seuda mafseket, is that correct? I am making roast chicken for Friday night and fish for shabbos lunch, so if we can't eat the fish before the fast I will serve the chicken re-heated.

We are breaking the fast at someone else's house. We went there last year and it was awesome, huge fish buffet, really good.

louche

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I figure that since YK falls on a Sunday this year, that's I'd cook for Shabbos and YK together. I juuuuust wonder if there is going to be complains that "we ate the same food for both meals on Shabbos, and now we have to eat it before YK too"?

!

Ha! Chez Louche any such complaints would fall on deaf ears. You don't like it? Cook yourself...please.

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:46 pm
And for those of you who have non-fasting children - what are you making for them to eat on YK?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:50 pm
Shabbos & before the fast:

fish
pasta salad
couscous salad
green salad
cucumber salad
coleslaw

soup (kreplach for before the fast)

chicken
lokshen kugel
veggies
cholent

dessert

After fast:
bagels
lox
cream cheese
egg salad
tuna
honey cake

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:50 pm
mommyofsix wrote:
And for those of you who have non-fasting children - what are you making for them to eat on YK?

It will be simple for my sake preparing it, but we treat it like Shabbos, and a yom tov, so there will be shabbos treats, etc.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:07 pm
mommyofsix wrote:

I don't, but that's a separate thread. Search in the Special Days threads for that.

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:10 pm
Does any one have a no fail Kreplach recipe to share?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:12 pm
louche wrote:
Ha! Chez Louche any such complaints would fall on deaf ears. You don't like it? Cook yourself...please.

No can do, Louche. For reasons I don't want to share publicy. But thanks for trying.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:18 pm
mommyofsix wrote:
Does any one have a no fail Kreplach recipe to share?

Brown ground meat with a little salt/pepper. drain liquid. Let cool.

Buy Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Dough. Thaw on counter. Cut a sheet of the dough into 9 squares.

Prepare a little cup/dish of water, using finger, wet the inside of the dough, especially where it will close. Then, take a little bit of meat, place in center, and then close.

Bring salted water to boil. Add kreplach. Boil until they float. Remove as soon as they float, set aside to cool.

I used 2-3 packages of dough for 1.30 lbs of lean ground meat (raw).

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:25 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
[Buy Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Dough. Thaw on counter. Cut a sheet of the dough into 9 squares.

Any idea what the Israeli equivilant is?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:25 pm
oh, sorry. Sad no embarrassed

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 2:58 pm
I don't use puff pastry, just a simple dough. And then I fry them. There's no going back to boiled kreplach once you've done them fried. Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 3:02 pm
Pre fast:

chicken soup
chicken soup chicken
pasta

Post fast:

my MIL's recipe cheese cake (family tradition:) )
bagels
tuna
salad
orange juice or chocolate milk

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 3:12 pm
GR wrote:
I don't use puff pastry, just a simple dough. And then I fry them. There's no going back to boiled kreplach once you've done them fried. Smile

oooooo . . . I had a neighbor who used to send me fried kreplach - recipe PLEASE! Very Happy

farfromhome

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 3:23 pm
I don't know what's for shabbos yet, but for erev yom kippur:

seuda hamafsekes

soup from shabbos
kreplach
chicken with farfel, onions and potatoes - it's light for before the fast and only uses one pan - almost no cleanup!
lots of water!!!!

after:
bagels
lox
cream cheese
french onion soup
orange juice

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 4:18 pm
Pre-fast: hummous, soupy chicken stew, rice, some salad--probably tomato with cucumber, melon (retains water), halva (equivalent of energy bar), honey cake, tea.

Post-fast: honey cake and tea, juice, probably ends up with either toast with beans (me) or a bowl of cereal (DH). We always have problems when we get invited out--everyone seems to be serving bagels with lox and creamcheese, and we don't mix fish with dairy.

On YK, the shul is supposed to be ordering sandwiches and crudite for the kids. (what a brilliant idea!)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 4:27 pm
No way am I frying anything; specially to put in the soup !!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur