Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Why kapporos ?!

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:42 am
so you swing around a chicken ... throw your avairos on it ... then somebody eats it ...

if you are what you eat - we are now eating someone's avairos shock

sounds a little off-putting to me ... why should some other living creature die in my stead ?!?!

here you take my sins ?!?!?! What

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:48 am
Same thing as bringing a karbon. You're not doing it to actually give your animal the sins - that's all symbolic. What you're doing is impressing on yourself that because of your sins, YOU would deserve what the chicken is getting. It's supposed to make you realize how sins are actually self-destructive. At least, that's how I understand it (and how I've learned about karbanos).

As for giving it to aniyim to eat, I'm not sure. I guess it could be "tshuva, tefillah, utzedakah maavirin es roah hagzairah," so why not give tzedakah right before yom kippur? But not sure how it's tied to kaparros in general.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:15 am
The thing is, with a korbon, that's the tikkun for the aveirah, etc.

I havne't tikkun-ed anything with my chicken. I still have to do tshuvah, etc.

That always confused me.

frumamn

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:06 pm
You're not giving your sins to the chicken or using it as your tikkun. You're saying, "If I was supposed to die this coming year because of something I did, let this chicken die in my place" It's a kappara- hence the name kapparos

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:07 pm
frumamn wrote:
You're not giving your sins to the chicken or using it as your tikkun. You're saying, "If I was supposed to die this coming year because of something I did, let this chicken die in my place" It's a kappara- hence the name kapparos

??? so if the chicken gets the kitrog diverted to him/her, why do I still have to do tshuvah? the punishment isn't on me anymore?

(I still do kaparos and tshuvah, iyh...this is academic for me, bc it does bother me)

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:20 pm
why allow something to die in your place ... that in & of itself sounds sinful ...

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:32 pm
Many rabbanim oppose and opposed kapporos and say giving money is more than enough.
They say:
the poultry suffers unnecessarily.
superstitious risk (controlling death.darke haemori) instead of teshuva
risk of treifa shechita or baal tachrit if thrown away

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:40 pm
kappros is kapparos whether it's s chicken, fish, or money. The whole inyan doesn't make sense to me bc it seems redundant or trivial.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:54 pm
it makes zero sense to me as well ... I'm not going to do kapporos ... I refuse !!! although I usually do it with monies anyways ... but really either I'm gonna stop sinning or not ...

we may as well do hail maryams and go to confession ... Hooray

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:05 pm
what's done is done... Let is be a kappara...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur