Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hosting shabbat/YT meal guests without DH

amother

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 4:51 pm
Do you invite guests for shabbat/yomtov meals if your DH is going to be out of town? We invited two couples and a few bochrim but DH needs to be out of town for a circumstance beyond his control. Do I ask the guest to say kiddush and hamotzi?

punktfarkert

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 4:58 pm
I probably wouldn't invite... but if that were the sitch, then it would depend who the guests were. You can't really say kiddush (men can't be yotzei) and hamotzei... so yeah, ask the guests. Are any of them close friends of family?

When we were first married, a single girl invited us and another couple for a meal. Both DHs said kiddush and hamotzei - the girl was yotzei with the other DH since that was her cousin.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 5:07 pm
We invited the guests weeks in advance so can't really disinvite them without being rude, no? I guess I may have to ask one of the men to do kiddush/hamotzi. I'm also concerned how I'm going to manage conversation.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 5:09 pm
first of all a man can be yotzei a woman saying hamotzei. but not kiddush.
when my husabnd and I were just married, we went to a family where the husband worked in america and the rest of the family lived in israel (this is what worked for them so that their children would have a life in israel) so the father was not there % of the time. so the oldest son who was over bar mitzvah said kiddush. I dont remember about the bracha for the challah.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 7:01 pm
Why don't you call the people you invited and give them a heads up that your dh won't be there afterall?
Maybe they'll suggest how they'll help you, or they might just univite themselves.
Either way, I think it would be easier on you if they know ahead of time.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics