Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HOw does delaying baby food prevent allergies
Previous  1  2

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 4:39 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
My baby started having allergic reactions within 2 weeks of his birth. He reacted through breast milk, and never had a drop of solids till he was 7 months old. I had to go on an elimination diet. Because he was allergic too so much, formula was not an option.

OK, I know these are dumb questions but: can someone explain the process, how a baby would be allergic to what the mother ate via mother's milk. Because doesn't the body break down the components of the food and then process the milk? ie, the baby isn't drinking the eggs you ate but the vitamins and minerals from the eggs.

I'm not questioning you I'm trying to understand how it would work.

Also, if the baby was allergic to the milk, why didn't it react in utero to the food from the umbilical cord? Isn't it basically the same process?

How do you know the baby didn't react in utero? there is no way to measure whether he did or didn't. In fact many mothers with older allergic children are urged to avoid their child's allergens while pregnant. Its the same idea as delaying solids and has the same spotty results.

As to the other part, how does medicine make its way into breast milk? The answer is somethings breakdown differently then others. The things you eat Are the same as anything else you put into your body. I cannot scientifically say why it is. But from experience, I can tell you, it happens.

Plain and simply, Our first confirmed allergy was eggs, and when I ate them he broke out with large hive all over his body. Even then it was not diagnosed, it was 5 months later when we finally connected, the Cradle cap, excema and hives as an allergy. After he was hospitalized for almost a week with bronchilitis.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics