Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Do I need to light extra candles??

melavemalka

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 5:12 am
At around 40mins before candle lighting for second day yom-tov my yarzeit candle went out embarrassed
The only home that we could have taken a light from was far away and it was very windy. MY DH did attempt to carry back a flame, but the wind put it out....
I therefore couldnt light candles for yom-tov Crying
Does this mean that I have to light any extra candles every shabbos??

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 5:49 am
Ask a shaila. I think it's only if you forgot. You didn't forget.

hila

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 7:06 am
You could have gone over to that house, lit there, and sat for a while with the candles...

And I have learned to get a 48 hr candle - the so-called 24 hr candles sometimes are not !

merelyme

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 7:15 am
Ask a she'eilah.

I learned a neat trick this year from Hamodia: take a tea light out of its metal holder and pull out the wick. Drop the tea light onto your yahrtzeit candle so the wick of the yahrtzeit candle goes through the hole in your tea light. Your new yahrtzeit-candle-plus-tea-light burns a few hours longer than a regular yahrtzeit candle.

melavemalka

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 7:39 am
Good point Hila, didnt think of that - though had guests (non frum teenagers) waiting in the house, so would have been awkward to leave them - they thought the whole business was bizare enough, didnt understand why I didnt lay the table, or why I couldnt heat up the chicken soup Confused

Nice idea bout the tea light merelyme.

will ask the rav re extra candles, and buy 48hr candles from now on!

Moadim LeSimcha to all Very Happy

Tova

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 7:42 am
Or you can add olive oil to the yahrtzeit candle in order to lengthen its burning power.

hila

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 7:48 am
If you say baruch hamavdil why cant you heat up soup ? I learned that you can light whenever you want, in fact on Pesach we light late (unless it is shabbat) so that teh candles are alight well into seder.

melavemalka

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 8:25 am
I just got really confused, didnt occur to me to say baruch hamavdil ben kodesh lekodesh - DH told me to when got home.
couldnt heat up chick soup coz needed a flame for the gas. the hot plate would have taken too long to heat up that much soup, and at this point it was almost 8:30pm.. anyways luckily there was lots of other food, and lots left over.. Smile
Tova, can you add olive oil to the candle on shabbos???

hila

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 8:32 am
AFAIK you cant add oil on shabbat but you can on chag - so a 2 day weekday would be Ok.

And yes - sorry I did not chap about teh soup heating without a flame.

Lots of problems can be solved by making aliya ..

1. Only one day chag usually (except RH)

2. Lots of close neighbours with a flame.

To name a few Wink

melavemalka

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 8:38 am
Our bags are packed (spiritually!) - bH Aliya soon, cant wait! Very Happy

hila

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 9:53 am
melavemalka wrote:
Our bags are packed (spiritually!) - bH Aliya soon, cant wait! Very Happy

LOL
welcome

grin

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 10:04 am
I'm pretty sure that you add an extra candle only if you didn't light due to neglect. IIRC there was a thread a while back about women who had become distracted and therefore didn't light and the psak was that they needn't add another candle. in any case, ask your rov.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 10:23 am
do you have a furnace or hot water tank ... usually there is a pilot light from which you can get a pre-existing flame ...

also there are candles that burn longer than 24 hours ... or leave on a flame on one of your oven burners ... it'll save you a lot of stress in the future ...

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 6:00 pm
I lit a 48 hour candle, and the funny thing was, it lasted for like 72 hours...the thing just never went out till what seemed like the middle of chol hamoed! I think that's the best idea - light a candle that is supposed to last a day longer than you need it to.

ozi

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 7:47 pm
After running around outside in cold/wind/rain looking for my pilot light which inevitably goes out, I have finally learnt to light TWO yartzheit lichts, one 48 hour and one 24 hour, just in case.

And this year, it was lucky I did because the 24 hour candle went out about half an hour before I could light again! So I still had the 48 hour one going, and I could heat up my chicken soup, and bentsh licht easily!

melavemalka

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:15 am
Thanks all for ur advice/comments - spoke to my rav, and thankfully dont have to light extra candles (as did not forget to light, just couldnt)

tmrw night I'll be lighting a few of those big yartzeits and some olive oil/t-light concoctions, otherwise there'll be no bbq on sunday!

chag sameach Cheers

neverbored

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 5:51 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
I lit a 48 hour candle, and the funny thing was, it lasted for like 72 hours...the thing just never went out till what seemed like the middle of chol hamoed! I think that's the best idea - light a candle that is supposed to last a day longer than you need it to.

Funny, my 24 hour one lasted exactly 50 hours. We were amazed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics