Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Wireless internet service

wowee

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 7:17 pm
I'm totally clueless.
I know that if I take my laptop to the public library I can have 'wireless' internet access.
Anyone know how I can get that in my home?
I really don't want anything with wires and DSL does have wires/cables.
My prob is that I have one phone jack in the kitchen and I don't want my computer connected to a phone jack or ethernet or whatever it's called, in the kitchen.
How do I get this 'wireless' internet service?
Thank you in advance!

GetReal

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 7:56 pm
We have a DSL modem that is also a router. A box plugged into the jack, but it doesn't have to be plugged into the computer, because it sends wireless signals to your computer.

Or you can try to use your neighbor's wireless internet. I don't recommend that.

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 7:59 pm
there is 2 things first you have to be sure that you lap top or computer has a wi-fi built in most probably it is the case since at the library you go to you are Wi-Fi.
Second you have to find a provider that carries a portable Wi-Fi not a big bulky modem.
The "Modem" you will have if you go that route will be a small USB flash card ie a memory stick. Instead of carrying memory it will be your "modem" without the ethernet or any kind of connection.
The downfall with that is that the connection usually is slower, you do not get it everywhere and it is quite expensive.

The advantage of the regular MOdem with an phone jack/ethernet/router connection is it is faster, cheaper and overall more reliable in my experience. this kind of modem can create, if you have many computers, a Wi-Fi environment ie one is connected through the phone jack and the others a re connected wirelessly.
This is what we have at home. One big dinosaur is connected to the Modem via phone jack and ethernet the rest is wireless on the 2 other floors.

here is a link that explain to you how it works
http://mobileoffice.about.com/.....t.htm

Here's an example of a plan with sprint (no I do not work there it was just the 1st company a thought of Smile
http://www1.sprintpcs.com/expl.....kages

If you need more info do not hesitate

Flowerpot

Post Thu, Oct 29 2009, 8:42 pm
You can have a wireless chip/card from verizon, sprint or whoever.

wowee

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 11:44 am
flowerpot and getreal,
I like your ideas. Can you tell me where I can get one and about how much it costs?
Is there monthly fee?
When you say expensive,how expensive do you mean?

Flowerpot

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 11:56 am
There is a monthly fee depending in your plan. I think you can add it to you cell phone plan (not sure) Look out for promos they have many times very good ones out there. I think sprit might be cheeper than verizon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics