Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken Liver- Help!

wtvr

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 1:28 pm
I have chicken livers that can't be cooked, fried or baked. (Kashered after 72 hrs.)

What can I do with them for Shabbos Day?

The obvious, is chopped liver, but I don't have a grinder or flieshig food processor.

Any ideas?

yaelinIN

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 1:33 pm
The few times I have chopped liver, I have made it by smashing them with a fleishig fork (make sure it a sturdy one).

sky

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 1:33 pm
I had this once - and dh will not eat it chopped.

For one package of liver I sauteed about 3 onions in a nice amount of oil for a long time with salt, pepper, garlic, and some soy sauce. It was a lot of onions for the amount of liver. But I found that when I mixed it together - the onions in oil and liver, it was delicious and no one complained (we had some picky bachrim that week and they ate the whole thing). I also cut the liver into smaller pieces then it came with so it was more mixed with the onion.

wtvr

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 1:50 pm
Thanks!

I was thinking of doing the old-fashion fork method, but thought it might be too much work- (a
lot of liver, plus eggs...)

Onions sounds good. You think I can add hard boiled eggs to the mixutre?

louche

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 1:58 pm
wtvr wrote:
I have chicken livers that can't be cooked, fried or baked. (Kashered after 72 hrs.)

Enlighten me. AFAIK, liver must be broiled over a flame. What's with the cooking-frying-baking?

scb88

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 2:06 pm
louche wrote:
wtvr wrote:

Enlighten me. AFAIK, liver must be broiled over a flame. What's with the cooking-frying-baking?

When you buy liver in the store, it was already broiled. Broiling over a flame is part of the kashering process for liver. AND it must be done within 3 days, or 72 hours of shechita. When done later, it cannot be cooked, fried or baked. I think that's what she must have been referring to, but OP, where on earth did you get unbroiled liver???? Unless you got it straight from the shochet????

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 2:09 pm
In my very large OOT city you can buy raw unkashered liver at the butcher stores. They sell both raw and broiled, kashered liver.

louche

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 2:16 pm
Just curious--what does liver, that has already had the living daylights broiled out of it, taste like when it's further baked-boiled-whatever?

wtvr

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 2:21 pm
Louche- scb88 got it right. They were kashered after 72 hrs. since shechting so can't be recooked.

I'm not sure where they came from- my grandmother is sending them to me, and she already broiled them (Thank you dear GM!). But I think she got them directly from chicken company or s/t.

wtvr

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 2:25 pm
louche wrote:
Just curious--what does liver, that has already had the living daylights broiled out of it, taste like when it's further baked-boiled-whatever?

Probably not much different, but it can be made into a "dish", or served warm. The only thing I was thinking of doing, if able, would be to saute with onions, but as sky said, I can do the onions w/o the liver and then mix. But people make liver blintzes, etc.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 4:53 pm
FYI, growing up we never reheated broiled liver from the butcher bec of the 72 hour thing.
Now that I am married I found out that there is a Machlokes about this, and that many do reheat liver even 72 hours after it was originally broiled.
(But I can't get myself to enjoy warm liver, even now that my Derech has changed. And dh really likes his warm. Smile )

wtvr, we saute a ton of sliced onions on a very low flame for an hour. Shabbos morning I mix them with cold liver pieces (I cut each one) and season with a lot of salt and pepper. Divine.

sky

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 12:58 am
louche wrote:
wtvr wrote:

I don't get it. But my dh loves it fryed with lots of onions, salt, pepper, garlic, soy sauce, etc. He claims it tastes great. We eat cold shabbos lunch. It doesn't get more burnt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey