Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Do you recommend Blokus?

INSPIREME

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:20 pm
Would you recommend Blokus as a Chanukah gift for an eight year old girl?

TIA

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:27 pm
I love Blokus, but I'm not sure if it's for eight year olds. It's a thinking game that takes skill. If I would play against an eight year old, she would have to be very good at it to win me. For a ten year old, I would say to definitely get it, and even an eight year old would probably love it, as long as she plays against people on her level.

pecan

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:28 pm
My eight year old is quite good at it. It depends how smart the girl is.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:28 pm
you might enjoy playing it as a family.

leomom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:33 pm
Blokus is great for all ages. I've played it with kids as young as five. You can "handicap" the older players or give certain advantages to younger ones if you want.

I've played the ordinary square Blokus, but the Trigon version (based on triangles) is WAY more interesting and more beautiful, by far. It's fascinating to just make designs with it, and that's definitely something any child can do, no matter what age.

INSPIREME

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:50 pm
YY - What is the Trigon version game called "Trigon"?

cranberry

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:52 pm
My dd is eight and she likes to play Blokus. When only two people play, it's not too hard for both people to get all their pieces out, so even if I don't play "easy" it's not like I'm going to always beat her by a long shot. She also likes to play with her friends, and they are all on the same level.

We recently bought a game called Cir-Kis, or something like that. It's along the same idea but you play in a follow-the-leader type way. Your piece has to touch the piece that the player before you just played. It's a bit more difficult because there are star pieces and circle pieces, and figuring out what piece you have left will fit can sometimes be hard, but instead of trying to get all your pieces out, you get points for different things as you play. The first person to get 40 points wins, no matter how many pieces are still left.

workingmom3

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 9:03 pm
my 8 and 10 year old both love blokus and are very good at it!

leomom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 9:09 pm
INSPIREME wrote:
YY - What is the Trigon version game called "Trigon"?

Do you mean why is it called that? (Because tri=3 and gon=angles, in other words, the shapes are based on triangles.) Or do you mean what is the game? Here's a picture:

chavamom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:40 pm
My kids like the Trigon version much better. The original is easier to play though.

micki

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 11:21 pm
we LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE blokus. we have tournaments every friday night and all my kids play- from age 5 and up.
its an amazing mind thoughtful game- we have the triangle one and hte square on and are planning to get the 3D one too.

INSPIREME

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 11:19 am
Thanks everyone - now I need to decide if I should get the Trigon one or the regular one. If they are jsut starting with the game, do you think I should go with the original version?

leomom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 9:06 pm
I vote Trigon so the older kids and adults won't get bored, and the younger kids can have a bit of challenge (it's not THAT difficult -- it's a pleasant challenge) and grow into it...

Ilovechoumous

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 11:51 pm
I absolutely love blokus.

ive become a bit obsessed with the game to the point where my husband wont play anymore with me and only almost 11 year old ds will. but I have to force him to. I absolutely love it. perhaps we will trigon to shake things up a bit. I play with 7 year old dd, but I am not as aggressive when I play with her.

I challenge anyone on the board to a very riveting game of blokus.

leomom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 10:30 pm
Ilovechoumous wrote:
I absolutely love blokus.

ive become a bit obsessed with the game to the point where my husband wont play anymore with me and only almost 11 year old ds will. but I have to force him to. I absolutely love it. perhaps we will trigon to shake things up a bit. I play with 7 year old dd, but I am not as aggressive when I play with her.

I challenge anyone on the board to a very riveting game of blokus.

You'll love Trigon! Hm... I wonder if there is an online version of the game? That would be a fun new way to procrastinate.

abismommy

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 10:53 pm
play blokus online
Enjoy!! Very Happy

wifey

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 11:07 pm
They also have blokus 3d, which I havent tried, but looks very cool. Love the 4 player blokus, like the 2 player less...

leomom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 11:09 pm
abismommy wrote:
play blokus online
Enjoy!! Very Happy

Cool! That was fast! Thanks!!! (Now I need Trigon...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics