Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Chilbeh

challi

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 11:50 pm
how do u make it. I have the powder now what? There are no instructions on the jar.

Seraph

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:18 am
Add a LOT of water. Like 6 or 7 times the amount of powder you have. (I don't know how powder works- I use the coarsely ground.
Soak it over night. It will absorb a lot of the water.
Pour off the water after a few hours. Add more water. (Do this a few times if possible.)
Blend it up in a food processor until its all fluffy. Add to the food processor garlic, salt, and lemon. I also add tomato, a pinch of sugar, and parsley, but not all of those 3 are necessary.

challi

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:25 am
I just looked I have the coarse ground too. I thought it was a powder but it says coarse ground on the container.

I don't use the whole container do I? There is about 200g in there. How much of the ground stuff to how much water would you say?

challi

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:26 am
oh and how much will that make?

Its been 2 yrs since I had it and I can't wait yum...

scccreations

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:32 am
wow I always buy it ready, from a sephardic man he makes yummy israeli salads never knew how to make it.
where do you buy the ground....

Seraph

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:35 am
challi wrote:
I just looked I have the coarse ground too. I thought it was a powder but it says coarse ground on the container.

I don't use the whole container do I? There is about 200g in there. How much of the ground stuff to how much water would you say?
Think about how much you want. Use about a fifth of that amount of the powder.

challi

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:36 am
I found it in a grocery store in the US I was so excited I nearly fell off my feet (not really but it gets the message across lol) Before that I never made it a friend of ours used to make it for us for shabbos. It brings back wonderful memories.

If you are in E"Y though you should be able to get the coarse ground stuff in the regular makolet, at least they sold it in mine when I was there.

Seraph

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:36 am
scccreations wrote:
wow I always buy it ready, from a sephardic man he makes yummy israeli salads never knew how to make it.
where do you buy the ground....
You buy ground chilbeh at a spice store.
I used to buy it ready made until I discovered just how easy and cheap it was to make it on my own.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 8:41 am
Go easy, the little goes a looong way as it swells a lot when you soak it in water.

I usually make mine from unground whole seeds. I soak it overnight, sometimes 2days in the fridge, then drain and grind up together with fresh water, LOTS of lemon juice, salt, garlic clove, zchug and corriander leaves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics