Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashering china?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:17 pm
My grandma wants to give me her china that hasn't been used for 15 years. Is there a way to kasher it?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
My grandma wants to give me her china that hasn't been used for 15 years. Is there a way to kasher it?

CYLOR. Depending upon the circumstances, there will be different answers. If it hasn't been used in a long period of time, and it is valuable, then *my* rabbi has told me (under similar circumstance) to just toivel it. Others, I'm almost certain, would say its not possible.

neverbored

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:32 pm
I do not think china can be kashered.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:45 pm
is it Bone china?

what did she use on it? I have a similar situation and was told lechatchila it should be kashered.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:47 pm
Fine bone china that hasn't been used needs to be toveled and is then kosher. The main issue is the value of the china. However, you really need to ask a rabbi when it comes to china.

speciwoman

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:07 pm
op: Not sure why I was amother earlier. Anyway, she used it for everything. Not sure if it's bone china or not---how do I find out?

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:17 pm
speciwoman wrote:
op: Not sure why I was amother earlier. Anyway, she used it for everything. Not sure if it's bone china or not---how do I find out?

It should say. If it doesn't, hold it up to the light with your hand behind it. If you can see your hand, its bone china.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:14 pm
Ued for "everything" might be a problem. Ours was used for fleishigs only, and the worst thing might have been ketchup or some such without a hechsher.

bubs

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 11:28 am
My mom has some beautiful bone china that she wants to give us. One set is milchig and one fleishig. The problem is both my sister and I want the fleishig cuz who needs another good milchig set? So we asked to see what to do and were told that since they were not used for a really long time like about 20-30 years, it's not a problem and we can use both for fleishig, not told to even toivel them, this from a chasidish rov. But ask your local rov to make sure.

speciwoman

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:34 pm
The problem is I'm afraid to finally ask and get a "no," because then I'll be stuck. I'm a BT, and me refusing my grandmother's china might be harder for the family to swallow than me wearing a wig!

Marriedinisrael

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:45 pm
You could always just accept it and put it on display if you get a 'no'. My family did that with some pieces that couldn't be kashered. Oh, and with one piece, we cover it with a fancy cloth and still use it, according to our LOR.
There are those who hold you can't kasher at all.
There are those who hold that you could just toivel, if the value of the china is large, and then it is fine.
The problem is that china, like pottery, can only be kashered with high temperatures usually, which would ruin the china.
Ask your LOP. (Local Orthodox Posek)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen