Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Childproofing/ Babyproofing

misteray

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 4:33 pm
First question: when is the time to do this? DS is not even crawling yet, so I am not worried. BUT- DH doesn't want to leave it to the last minute and wants me to compile a list of things to for us to do to make the house safe... I think it's great not to wait to the last minute, but don't you agree that we should at least wait until he is mobile?

That said--- I'm trying to be a good wife and am following instructions...

what DO we need to do to babyproof the house?
Please tell me the first things you've done in your own house when baby first started moving around, then as he/she got older.
What are the important things, then what are just extra conveniences?

TIA!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 4:55 pm
Do yu get those baby catalogues, with th ings to buy? You might start with one of them.

misteray

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 5:07 pm
I actually do not get any baby catalogs. Like what?

rowo

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:29 pm
depends on your house and depends on your baby.
for sure just lock up cleaning things, detergents etc or put them in cupboards out of reach.
if you have a coffee table or s/thing with sharp corners, you can get covers for the corners.
covers for the outlets.
if your baby is one that loves to empty bookshelves, and that drives you crazy, either move things from lower shelves or make the shelves inaccessible.
gates for stairs if you have.
dont leave breakables on low shelves
make sure that shelving is stable for once baby starts pulling her/himself up.

there are probably quite a few more that ppl will suggest, these are just a few off the top of my head.

oh, remembered s/thing else, I've seen things to put on doors to stop them closing fully so baby cant jam fingers.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:36 pm
I'd say outlet covers is number one.

get locks for your cabinet doors that you dont want her in, and put all toxic products, cleaning stuff out of reach.

a gate for your stairs if you have.

if u have a coffee table or something low like that, I'd cover the corners.

thats all I can think of at the moment.

oh, and we also keep all doors shut; bathroom door, closet door, bedroom doors...

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:38 pm
Gates for stairs if you have any.

I train them and they learn not to go to the dangerous stuff.

cranberry

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:37 pm
My baby was always crawling over to the power strip/surge protector that my computer is plugged into. I couldn't really move it out of the way or hide it because of the way everything is set up. I bought a special cover for it, and now he's barely tempted.

Also, a good way to see what you need is to get down on all fours and crawl around your house. That way you see things more from the baby's perspective, and you can see what might be dangerous.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:44 pm
Ever kid is different. For dd#2, all I needed to feel safe was cabinet locks for the cabinet where I keep my cleaning supplies. There are no outlets in her reach, and we have no stairs. For ds, I got stove knob covers, an oven lock, a fridge lock, and we have to keep the bathroom door closed at all times. Now I need to find something to block him from my computer- he turns it on and off, types, runs away with the mouse...

misteray

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:22 pm
Thanks everyone! Great points and ideas. But, I guess a lot of the stuff I can wait to see what he'll get himself into...

One more question: regarding the outlets- what kind of covers do you like the best? I've seen different types.

Thanks!

MiamiMommy

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:48 pm
Here's a checklist:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting.....guide
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics