Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs/ Matza Meal?

MomMe

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:03 pm
Does anyone have a good idea for what I can use as a gluten-free alternative to matzah meal and breadcrumbs, especially to "bread" fish and schnitzel and to bind tuna or vegetable patties? Thanks!

drumjj

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:22 pm
maybe u could take some rice and grind it up and use that like a powder to cover them up and to bind things?

MomMe

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:26 pm
Cooked rice?

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:30 pm
almond flour, or mashed potato mix in the box.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:32 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
almond flour, or mashed potato mix in the box.

What she said

MomMe

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 2:16 pm
Oh, these are good ideas! Thanks. I will definitely try the potato flakes and almond flour. I saw online (elsewhere) that ground-up cornflakes can work, too.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 2:22 pm
myrl wrote:
Oh, these are good ideas! Thanks. I will definitely try the potato flakes and almond flour. I saw online (elsewhere) that ground-up cornflakes can work, too.

Make sure that the cornflakes that you buy are actually gluten free. Sometimes they have other starches in them besides for the corn.
Same with the potato flakes. Make sure that they are only made from potatoes.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 3:41 pm
myrl wrote:
Does anyone have a good idea for what I can use as a gluten-free alternative to matzah meal and breadcrumbs, especially to "bread" fish and schnitzel and to bind tuna or vegetable patties? Thanks!

I believe that Corn Chex are gluten free. You can crush them to use instead of breadcrumbs.

tovasmom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 3:47 pm
Most corn flakes have something called barley malt extract in them which has gluten. When I need gluten free, look for the organic cornflakes which generally do not have this. I use gluten free "breadcrumbs" from an Australian company called Oragran for my gf fish and shnitzel. It is made from rice. Also, if you can get gluten free oats, they are also a decent substitute for breadcrumbs or matza meal if you put them in the food processor.

MomMe

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 4:10 pm
Thanks for the info everyone. I will try some of these ideas. Since I'm in Israel, there aren't as many options, like that Oragan (I've heard it's great!), but I think I have what to try for the time being.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 4:13 pm
Gefen makes cornflake crumbs that appear to be gluten free. Corn and salt are the only ingredients. I'm celiac and I use them with no problems.

SR

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:21 am
If you live in Israel, you can just grind up the B&D cornflakes which are gluten free (or at least they were when I was living there) or rice crispies...When I make shnitzel I would grind the cornflakes and put lots of herbs and salt and pepper in them...its yum, much nicer than matza meal!

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:27 am
There are several brands on the Israeli market; you just have to know where to look.

This should help. (There is an English link in the top left-hand corner, if the link takes you to the Hebrew site.)

freidasima

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 5:23 am
There are several companies which make gluten free breadcrumbs with good hechshers, no problem to find them in most health food stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics