Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Shabbos Crock Pot Soup

wifey

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 6:55 pm
Hi ladies,

I am looking for a soup I can put in my crock pot Friday and serve Shabbos day...(I know pea soup, but I'm not such a fan). DIL's are coming over and I'd like to impress!

TIA!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 6:57 pm
see imasinger's recipe for mushroom barley soup
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20

sara0b

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 12:20 am
I made ina garten's tomato soup in the crockpot for shabbos lunch (but tweaked it a bit). here is her recipe copy & pasted:

Ingredients
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (2 onions)
2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
4 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (5 large)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaves, plus julienned basil leaves, for garnish
3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
Croutons, for garnish
Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and pepper and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.

Add the cream to the soup and process it through a food mill into a bowl, discarding only the dry pulp that's left. Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned basil leaves and/or croutons

I used water instead of chicken stock. I left out the heavy cream. a trick that I realized if you want to make something a little creamier (but parve), grate potato into the soup. when it cooks for so many hours it will help thicken the soup to a creamier consistency. also I used dried herbs.

also, I sauteed all the veggies but left them a little firmer than totally mushy so that it cooked a little more in the crockpot. I had some precooked chicken that I threw in when serving to make it a chicken tomato soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics