Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Watch Your Words!

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 5:58 pm
The Medrash Ha'Gadol on the pasuk, "When Pharaoh speaks to you saying ..." refers to a pasuk in Amos (4:13), "For behold, He forms mountains and creates winds. He recounts to a person what is his conversation (mah sicho) ..."

The Medrash says that Amos is referrring to the fact that when Hashem creates a person, He decrees how many conversations he will have in his life and how many words he will speak. Once a person finishes his allotment of words, his time is up. shock

LubavitchLeah

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 6:04 pm
Thank You Motek!

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 8:52 pm
I got chills from that..very interesting

proudmom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 8:56 pm
thats why the best thing is dont waste your words on stupidity.

happyone

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 10:25 pm
That's why I've resorted to writing, chatting online, and instant messaging, instead of using "words" on the phone Wink

Blossom

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 2:53 am
That's interesting and scary at once.
Seyog L'chachma Shtika really comes into play here.

technic

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 3:28 am
happyone wrote:
That's why I've resorted to writing, chatting online, and instant messaging, instead of using "words" on the phone Wink

I hope u manage 2 "beat the system" till 120 iyh Exclamation

amother

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 5:03 am
Thats also true with the saying if one has nothing wise to say don't say it at all. Or silence is golden etc

However all that being said I know people infants autistic kids who couldn't speak and their time was up anyways.

I always say we never can understand fully what it means. e.g. a person who does amazing kibud av vaim their whole life dies at a tender age of 45yrs. So we don't know if this is a physical or spiritual or means in Gan Eden etc.

All we do know is we try to follow the Torah to the best of our ability and not worry about what we will or will not get b/c we don't fully understand the rewards anyway right at this point.

Like someone who keeps Shabbos is promised Shabbos will pay him back double. Some after sooo many years are still so poor so rather then concentrating on the rewards aspect or vise versa, lets just concentrate on the fact that we as Jews do it for the sake of doing it and yes we will be rewarded but how exactly one cannot know

amother

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 5:05 am
Sorry that above amother was me.

Tefila not signed in Wink

technic

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 5:40 am
"However all that being said I know people infants autistic kids who couldn't speak and their time was up anyways."

does that necessarily disagree with the earlier poster who said we all get allotted a certain no of conversations 4 our lives??? - its not AN IDENTICAL NUMBER 4 each person - so the autistic person was allotted none Sad

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 6:57 am
But we women have "9 mos reid" that's all included. Very Happy So can we continue yakking?

technic

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 7:43 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
But we women have "9 mos reid" that's all included. Very Happy So can we continue yakking?

ohhhhhhhhhhhh I sure hope so!!! LOL

supermom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 2:20 pm
it doesn't count torah so for all you hebrew teachers have no fear Very Happy

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 7:38 pm
Quote:
Do Not Speak Ill Of Yourself

It pleased me to receive your letter dated the 17th of Sivan. Although the content of the letter was not of the category that brings pleasure, since you lament there your ill health, nevertheless, it was pleasing to receive a letter from you after a period of silence. I hope that I will soon receive a letter from you with joyful contents regarding both your physical and spiritual well-being.

[The importance of not verbalizing or putting into writing laments about one’s ill health is understood in light of] the well-known saying of my father-in-law, the Rebbe, that the prohibition against lashon hara, speaking ill of a fellow Jew, includes not speaking lashon hara about oneself as well.

Also known is the explanation of the codifiers about the difference between lashon hara and motzi shem ra, slanderous speech: Motzi shem ra only applies to speaking an untruth about another, while lashon hara applies even if one speaks the truth. Nevertheless, [even though the person speaks the truth,] our Sages say, “Lashon hara harms all three,” [the speaker, the listener and the individual about whom the lashon hara is spoken].

... This, too, is the damage done by lashon hara even if the matter is true, for by speaking about [the faults or failings of the other or oneself, or even about one’s poor health], the person reveals and brings these [faults or failings] to the fore.

When something is drawn down into the [more physical] realm of speech [from the more ethereal realm of thought], the situation is affected to a greater extent. If, however, it remains in a concealed form, the results are not so easily realized.

I hope that by the time you receive my letter, you will already have had the opportunity to bring about some positive spiritual change among some of the neighboring patients in the hospital. ...

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. VI, p. 140)

http://www.sichosinenglish.org.....6.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics