Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore Maryland??
Previous  1  2

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:18 pm
Don't know where you're coming from, but Balto schools are much cheaper than NY schools. The schools in silver spring (I'm assuming that's what you're calling DC area) are definitely more $$ than Balto, but probably cheaper than NY.
Housing and kosher food is also considerably cheaper in Balto.

My father has been commuting to DC for as long as I can remember. He used to drive, now he takes the MARC train.

Hashkafically, BY and, uh BY (Very Happy)are not that different. Bnos stresses that they don't put as much focus on academics (some ppl see that as a good thing, others see that as a bad thing....). You'd have to visit the schools in person to get a better idea.

COOLME56

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 3:57 pm
are you still looking to live in baltimore? are u looking for a house?

rtrosenberg

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:11 pm
Thank you for all of this info on Baltimore. My DH and I just found out today that we're moving there from Louisville, KY. Its going to be crazy having so many options from grocery stores to schools for our children...everything! We're a young couple, my DH will be working downtown and I'm hoping to work there as a teacher (that's what I'm doing in Louisville). Am I right to assume that the shul on Old Pimlico Rd is the right area for us? Do they have an eruv? How about a cheder? Is housing reasonably priced? Are there other young couples there? We're Lubavitch, but we're a BT and Ger so we'd love to be at a place where there's adult learning. Any recommendation or tips? We're moving there next month! Anything will be helpful.

Atali

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:18 pm
I would recommend Rabbi Lisbon's shul on Clarks lane.

If you have kids under six there is a Chabad cheder located there as well.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:41 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

There is a Lubav. community and mikvah closer to DC in Potomac, MD, but there isn't a Lubav school there. A VERY pricey area to live, however.

I realize this thread is getting old, but for anyone reading... Yes, there is a Lubavitch mikvah in Potomac. But AFAIK there is NOT a Lubavitch community. There is a Chabad house there. As of a few years ago, there were roughly 2.5 Lubavitch families, aside from the shliach. Two of them have since moved away.

(There is a MO/just-plain-frum community in Potomac.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:46 pm
rtrosenberg wrote:
Thank you for all of this info on Baltimore. My DH and I just found out today that we're moving there from Louisville, KY. Its going to be crazy having so many options from grocery stores to schools for our children...everything! We're a young couple, my DH will be working downtown and I'm hoping to work there as a teacher (that's what I'm doing in Louisville). Am I right to assume that the shul on Old Pimlico Rd is the right area for us? Do they have an eruv? How about a cheder? Is housing reasonably priced? Are there other young couples there? We're Lubavitch, but we're a BT and Ger so we'd love to be at a place where there's adult learning. Any recommendation or tips? We're moving there next month! Anything will be helpful.
While that's exciting for you, I can't help but feel sad that another frum family is leaving Louisville. It's a shell of what it used to be.

Hatzlacha on your move! I don't have much info to add on Baltimore though...

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 10:04 pm
rtrosenberg wrote:
Am I right to assume that the shul on Old Pimlico Rd is the right area for us? Do they have an eruv? How about a cheder? Is housing reasonably priced? Are there other young couples there? We're Lubavitch, but we're a BT and Ger so we'd love to be at a place where there's adult learning. Any recommendation or tips? We're moving there next month! Anything will be helpful.

If you're looking for a mostly Lubavitch crowd, you want Rabbi Lisbon's shul on Clarks Lane (Bais Lubavitch). There's lots of learning for men, less for women. The Chabad cheder currently serves 3 year olds through kindergardeners, and, last I heard, they're hoping to continue to add a class every year, IY"H. Housing is as reasonable as you'll find in a major frum community with a decent economy. Lots of young couples.

There is a Baltimore community eruv, and both of the Chabad shuls are inside it.

rtrosenberg

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 10:34 pm
Thanks for all of your advice and comments! We spoke to the shluchim there and they also answered some questions. I'm eager to begin looking for a place to live. Thanks once again for everyone's responses!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating