Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanukah themed food for shabbos day?

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 4:03 pm
Any suggestions for special chanukah food for shabbos day lunch?

If I get ambitious maybe we'll make chanukah cookies for dessert, if I can find my cookie cutters. Tongue Out

levial

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 2:06 pm
I second this. I went to the Ruth Sirkis cookbook but the recipes were for party food, dairy things. On a non Shabbat I might do a Yehudit theme'd meal of salty feta, olives, wine, etc. If Shabbat weren't out so early, I'd do a Seudah Shlisheet that was dairy like that

Here's where I'm at as of now. I need ideas too as we have two guests coming
Fish course (gefilte)
Hummus/Tehina/Zchug/cole slaw/broccoli salad

Soup course:Three color matza balls (Kosher by design entertains - just split into 3 bowls your matza mix and add a spoon of tomato paste, ground spinach and small amount of tumeric, to make the three different colors)

Entree will be schnitzel since it is fried in oil
Latkes
Green beans almondine
Yerushalmi kugel (replaces the potato one since I have latkes on the table)
the three other things that DH or I decide we "need" to suddenly make. For example, DH ends up with a need for chopped liver, to which I counter we should also do an egg salad. Then we realize we need a green salad to go with the entree. last week it was the taro chips salad from kosher by design with the french dressing with grated onion.

Dessert:
I have a recipe where you make a 2 layer cake from a mix. the bottom layer you frost. The top layer you cut a magen david (a triangle then another one) by hand with a knife. Add to the bottom and frost. Then you make either a (blue) jello/ or fruit jam filling of your choice and fill in the magen david you have cut. The frosting should act as a waterproof that the filling doesn't spill into the bottom layer, but if it does, it's like one of those fancy cakes.

DH found a recipe for melting chocolate with biscuits, spreading into a springform, then topping with a mouse that he is campaigning for.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 3:26 pm
That is a good idea about the schnitzel. I was thinking that the traditional fried foods (latkes, sufganiyot) would be out for the day meal, but schnitzel would definitely work. Thanks.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 3:27 pm
Warmed sufganiyot for dessert.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 4:14 am
We don't usually do fish but I'm doing fish patties this week...same recipe as my gefilte fish but I fry it instead. And latkes.

shevi82

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 6:36 am
I have a cake pan shaped like a menorah, that will be dessert. You can try making Latkes and then warming them up, but they are usally best when fresh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics