Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cluless about pot
1  2  Next

willow

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 4:30 am
catchy tittle huh 8)
I am clueless about these things. The set I have is from my aunt as a wedding present.
Over the past month every single one of our pot lids or handles broke. Its a very very good set
(we are checking our mezzuzas Wink Because it is very odd) But I can't cook like this.
What is important to look for? Non stick? Stainless steel? There are just so many varieties out there now.
Any help would be appreciated.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 4:37 am
Be VERY careful. I know a girl who was burned badly as a baby when the lid detached from a pot of hot soup her mother had lifted.

willow

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 5:46 am
Come on ladies you all cook. No one has opinions on pots?

drumjj

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 5:50 am
I personally dont like non stick pans because all the stuff comes off and its gross. u also want a heavy duty one but not one that is going to be too heavy to lift.

louche

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:39 am
Are you cooking on very high heat and/or letting the pots boil dry? The finest cookware can be ruined that way. If you use gas, the flame should just reach the bottom of the pot, not climb up the sides. If you use electric, use the burner that most closely matches the size of the pot, and also avoid very high heat. Excess heat will cause the pot to expand too much and can contribute to the handles detaching.

Or you may have gotten a batch that happens to be a dud. Contact the company to let them know what happened. You may be able to get the pots replaced, especially if other people had the same problem.

Avoid nonstick coatings like the plague--they will all eventually peel off and then the pots are useless. Go for nice smooth heavy stainless steel with an aluminum or copper clad bottom for even heating. DON"T cook on very high heat or let the pan boil dry. Ignore this warning at your peril. NMot only the handles, but also the copper or aluminum disk on the bottom can fall right off the pot.

Heavy aluminum works well, but it will eventually pit and discolor. Aluminum will also react with certain foods and discolor them.

Some cooks love enamel-coated cast iron, but it's VERY heavy. You can cook with very little liquid in such a pot, kind of slow-cooker cooking without the slow-cooker. However, if you're not careful, the enamel coating can chip and slivers of enamel, which is basically glass, can get in the food. If you tend to drop things or prefer not to have to handle your cookware with the greatest of delicacy, enameled pots are not for you.

Plain cast iron supposedly lets you fry with very little fat and adds iron to the food, but it rusts like mad. You can't let the pan soak in water, and you must dry it thoroughly and immediately. Forget air-drying. If you prefer to let pans soak or like to let things air-dry, cast iron is not for you.

Bella:D

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:55 am
I agree that you should contact the company to see if the pots are guaranteed because the lids should not all be detaching like that.
If you want to buy a new set, buy one from a big department store because they usually have good sales, especially now because of the holidays.
Go for a big set like a 13 piece or something like that.
Some good brands are Calphalon, Lagostina and All Clad.
Good luck!

bluesclues

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 9:57 am
I like chantal pots also swiss diamond is great but expensive so I only have few pieces of it

chilled

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 10:00 am
cant go wrong with farberware!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 10:15 am
from the title I was wondering why a good jewish mother needed to know about marijuana!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 10:24 am
If you buy decent non-stick and clean it properly, it should not peel or deteriorate. I've had two sets of T-Fal (at best a mid-level brand) for almost 15 years without the coating of a single pot or pan deteriorating. I've been slowly purchasing heavier duty pans; I like Calphalon's hard anodized non-stick and, believe it or not, Rachel Ray from Kohls.

Non-stick cookware allows you to cook with less fat, making the cooking overall lower calorie.

Don't buy a set unless its on deep discount. Buy the pans you need, in the sizes that you need them.

chanab

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:34 am
Tools of the trade from macys. I bought these as my pesach pots and would love a set for chometz.

Shmerling

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:52 am
chilled wrote:

Yup. I agree.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:57 am
Shmerling wrote:
chilled wrote:

Yup. I agree.

ITA
if you cannot find Farberware near you, get something else that is stainless steel

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 12:49 pm
calphalons tri ply set- I think it was 400$ for a 13 piece set from macys when I got it plus it came with 2 extras...I love the set!

Shmerling

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 1:05 pm
cfriedman2 wrote:
calphalons tri ply set- I think it was 400$ for a 13 piece set from macys when I got it plus it came with 2 extras...I love the set!

But they are SO heavy! I have one piece, a frying pan, but I never use it cause its such a heavy klutz.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 1:20 pm
Farberware handles come off but you can easily screw them back on.

sympa

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 6:11 pm
You want to look for thick-based bots, but ones you can still lift. Copper is best, but stainless steel is good too.

We like Cuisinart cookware.

amother wrote:
If you buy decent non-stick and clean it properly, it should not peel or deteriorate.
I've had two sets of T-Fal (at best a mid-level brand) ....

I was very impressed with T-Fal's customer service. They have a life-time guarantee.
We got a T-Fal non-stick pan as a wedding gift, and it started to scratch/peel. After 2 years, it was unusable. When we called, they sent us a replacement - of higher quality - for free, even though we had no proof of purchase. The new one has been great (but don't cook on high with it).

myfriends715

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 6:49 pm
anaolon pots are great ( and I'm a professional chef)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 7:06 pm
Tfal is great. All clad is also great. But all clad costs !!!!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:27 pm
I am partial to All Clad. I like stainless with a nice weight to it. Definitely I would not use anything non-stick. Those coatings are unsafe.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics