Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Most Popular In Israel 2008

Which is your favorite of these most popular 2008 Israeli girls' names?
Noa  
 18%  [ 7 ]
Shira  
 21%  [ 8 ]
Yael  
 10%  [ 4 ]
Tamar  
 8%  [ 3 ]
Maya  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Talia  
 16%  [ 6 ]
Hila  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Michal  
 10%  [ 4 ]
Adi  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

Isramom8

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 7:49 am
According to Hamodia, the most popular baby names in Israel in 2008 were:

Noam
Itai
Daniel
David
Idan
Moshe
Yosef
Yonatan

Noa
Shira
Yael
Tamar
Maya
Talia
Hila
Michal
Adi

Noam was also a popular girl's name (as well as the #1 boys' name).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 8:04 am
I'm nicely surprised by the boys names. All normal, regular names, even the "original" ones!

The girls names are much better than what I feared. Also all normal, and most classics.

As for me, I wouldn't give any of these names unless they were family. My taste goes to weirder stuff I guess. If I had to, Tamar (if there wasn't the rape story), Maya (sans the bee), Talia (if my dh didn't hate it) and Michal (see Talia) are nice.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 8:52 am
It's not really that surprising. The frum birthrate is much higher, so probably a high % of babies are born to frum parents. Then frum people are generally less "original" so the names are used repeatedly. In many non-frum circles (and some MO) you show how clever you are by choosing a word no one has yet used as a name as a "name".

David, Moshe, and Yosef, are almost exclusively used among chareidim or more traditionally minded MO. For some reason Daniel, Yonatan, Shira, Yael and Michal are about the only names all groups use - from chareidim to secular. In fact, we gave one of those names as a middle name to one of our dc. This probably sounds really ridiculous to anyone outside Israel, but I didn't want to use it as a first name since it sounds too "modern" (it wasn't Shira). You have to be part of chareidi Israeli culture to understand.

entropy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 9:08 am
Several mistakes:

Noam
Itai
Uri/Ori
Daniel
--> Yonatan
David
Idan Iddo
Moshe
Yosef

Noa
Shira
Yael
Tamar
Maya
Talia
Sarah
Hila
Michal
Adi

Isramom8

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 9:30 am
Entropy, where did you get your list?
I was kind of wondering why Sarah wasn't up there on the Hamodia list.

entropy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 1:41 pm
from the beaureau of statistics:
http://cbs.gov.il/reader/newho.....11256

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 1:56 pm
shalhevet wrote:
David, Moshe, and Yosef, are almost exclusively used among chareidim or more traditionally minded MO. For some reason Daniel, Yonatan, Shira, Yael and Michal are about the only names all groups use - from chareidim to secular.

Tamar is also common among chareidim perhaps even more so than Shira and Michal.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 2:05 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
David, Moshe, and Yosef, are almost exclusively used among chareidim or more traditionally minded MO. For some reason Daniel, Yonatan, Shira, Yael and Michal are about the only names all groups use - from chareidim to secular.

Tamar is also common among chareidim perhaps even more so than Shira and Michal.

Tamar is popular among both chareidim and MO.

freidasima

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 2:10 pm
Like Shalhevet we also gave one of those names as a middle name to one of the children, and the rationale was the same, both were family names named after someone but the first name we gave was more traditional.

But there is a group you are all forgetting, the traditional (not MO) sefaradim. There they name for parents and you can bet your bottom shekel that you will still find a lot of tanachic and traditional names among them.

David (which becomes dudu)
Moshe (which stays moshe or becomes momo)
Chaim (which stays chaim)
Avraham (which becomes avi)
Yitzchak (which becomes itzik or tzachi)
Mordechai (which becomes motti)
Yechiel (which becomes khili)

davka less for girls.

Those above BTW are the names of boys born in the past few years to women in my sefaradi mikva.

realeez

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 3:21 pm
What's the meaning of the name Hila? Is it connected to Tehila like I saw in some places or does it mean a halo like I saw in others?

Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 3:42 pm
it means halo, or aura

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:03 am
My daughter's name is Noa, and her name is so perfect for her. She's so sweet and has such a pleasant personality. I was nervous about that name and what people would say, but now I am so glad we did. I highly recommend that name.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:20 am
Why would people say anything? It's a classic.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 11:22 am
I can't believe none of my kids' names are on the list. They are all pretty traditional.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:21 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
I can't believe none of my kids' names are on the list. They are all pretty traditional.

Well, just because the list was published in Hamodia doesn't mean it reflects the readership of that puiblication. The list is for all Jewish babies born in Israel.

I work in a mostly chiloni work environment (a high-tech firm in the greater Tel-Aviv area) and I'd say the list is a pretty accurate reflection of the babyname trends among my coworkers who have recently given birth. In fact, the only names that are absent among my coworkers' babies are the uber-traditional boy names (Moshe, David, Yosef).

The only exception is "Agam." I have heard this name as a top-10-girl's name for a year or two, and I have yet to meet or hear about a single person who named her child this. Statistical anomoly?

entropy

Post Fri, Dec 18 2009, 3:29 am
Agam is #19, so it's plausible that in a some demographics it's top 10, while in others it's nonexistent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names