Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Datan

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 23 2007, 10:01 pm
Why do frum people use Datan?
In fact, why do frei people use it??

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sat, Jun 23 2007, 11:36 pm
never heard it

I have heard nimrod though and wondered about that

mimivan

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 12:57 am
sorry to pontificate (as usual LOL ) but on the subject of Nimrod, it was a very popular name in Israel for a while. It's even a popular name brand for kids shoes...

Anyway, there is a story about an Israeli named Nimrod who went to the Lubavitcher Rebbe and asked if he should change his name, since he wanted to make teshuvah.

The Rebbe told him not to change his name and to use the energy of rebellion associated with Nimrod to rebel against his yetzer hara.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 10:36 am
seen on various website:

datan ben tal
Dosan Yisroel Chai Ben Silbi
dotan ben shalom

and so on...

chen

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 2:46 pm
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I applaud people who want to give their child a biblical name, but out of ignorance--because they have not studied tanach--they don't know who the bad guys are. So they use names like nimrod, doson, amnon and so on. Hey, you look up a name in the baby books, it says it's biblical, you like the way it sounds, you like what it means...they don't tell you he was a baddie. I'm waiting for some Hollywood type to name their daughter jezebel... Rolling Eyes

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 2:52 pm
chen wrote:
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I applaud people who want to give their child a biblical name, but out of ignorance--because they have not studied tanach--they don't know who the bad guys are. So they use names like nimrod, doson, amnon and so on.

You would unfortunately be surprised to know that many of these people give such names with full knowledge of who these people were. Crying

True story: My ILs went to a bris where the father comes from a frum family and went off the derech. On the way were signs: 'To Nimrod's bris'. My FIL is not the shy kind and he approached the new father.
Why are you calling your son Nimrod?
- So he'll rebel (the meaning of the word)
-Maybe he'll rebel against you?
- So what?

Quote:
I'm waiting for some Hollywood type to name their daughter jezebel... Rolling Eyes

It's Izevel = Isabel in English.

zz

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 3:12 pm
I heard of Hagar, I find it weird...

chen

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 3:22 pm
sorry, isabel is not izevel despite the similarity in sound. Isabel is a variant form of Isabella, which is a Spanish variant of elizabeth. which is an english variant of elisheva. Izevel is jezebel in English. My source, Webster's new World dictionary, college edition. (but you can google on Isabel--meaning and arrive at the same info.)

tweety99

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 5:23 pm
shalhevet wrote:
chen wrote:
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I applaud people who want to give their child a biblical name, but out of ignorance--because they have not studied tanach--they don't know who the bad guys are. So they use names like nimrod, doson, amnon and so on.

You would unfortunately be surprised to know that many of these people give such names with full knowledge of who these people were. Crying

True story: My ILs went to a bris where the father comes from a frum family and went off the derech. On the way were signs: 'To Nimrod's bris'. My FIL is not the shy kind and he approached the new father.
- So what?

Quote:
I'm waiting for some Hollywood type to name their daughter jezebel... Rolling Eyes

It's Izevel = Isabel in English.

what a sad story! poor kid! shock

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 6:43 pm
Datan? And is Dasan and Aviram the two troublemakers back in Egypt who continued making trouble in the desert and ended up swallowed up by the earth with Korach?

ladyliberty

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 7:02 pm
I know people that were named nimrod because israel at the time were rebelling against the british. it was a political statement, and had nothing to do with the bible at all.

sleepyhead

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 10:11 pm
Chen, you are right, jezebel and isabel are NOT the same.

Also, Dosan and Dotan may not be the same as DAtan. Dosan was the city/town where Yosef went to look for his brothers.In other words, it's an okay name.

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 7:48 am
Motek wrote:
Datan? And is Dasan and Aviram the two troublemakers back in Egypt who continued making trouble in the desert and ended up swallowed up by the earth with Korach?

yes. I know of a boy in london called avirom. sefardi boy. I think sefardim use names lide datan avirom etc.

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 8:36 am
shalhevet wrote:
chen wrote:

- So what?
:

[/quote]
Meaning he'll rebel against them and become frum? Wink

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 8:37 am
zz wrote:
I heard of Hagar, I find it weird...

Yeah, I babysat a little girl called Hagar.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 12:08 pm
In some communities Hagar was used. Ishmael too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names