Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Colic

Lilkingdom

Post Sat, Nov 24 2007, 10:48 pm
My baby is 4 weeks old and since last week she literally does not stop crying. The first 2-3 weeks she was really good and suddenly from one day to next she started having crying spells. She is either sleeping or crying!!! I'm not sure wether it's colic or not but I'm going to have it checked out end of the week. In the meantime I need some ideas...I'm going crazy!! Help

I'm not sure if it's the food she eats since she sometimes cries after formula (materna dairy) and sometimes not. I even tried nursing her and she cries sometimes too but not always. If it would have been the milk wouldn't she cry after every meal? She cries even when she's not hungry. The only time she's calm and relaxed is when she's in the bath.

Is she colic? If yea any ideas?????????????????????????? I also noticed that she fights sleep. Her eyes can be closed for almost 20 min, she doesnt move and appears to be sleeping and then suddenly...her eyes pop open! is this normal?

She's so adorable and cute, but such a handful...omg
I can't really complain, my mom says I was a terror the first three months Tongue Out

pinktichel

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:06 am
I had a really tough time with dd and this is what we did:

I bought the book "the happiest baby on the block" (and have since given it to loads of ppl to borrow) and we swaddled her really tight. We then rocked her in our arms with her back against us and tummy against our arm with static from the radio going.

No one believed us that it worked until they saw it with their own eyes. They were amazed at how she instantly quieted! We would sometimes sleep with the static going cuz if we turned it off she'd wake up. She was swaddled till about 7 months.

She also had reflux, and was extremely sensitive to everything I ate as well as the materna milchig formula. B"H she has outgrown it and is thriving beautifully (and has full bottles of milk).

I definitely recommend that you see a gastrointerologist (sp?) and buy the dvd or book I mentioned above.

Wish you lots of luck... it is sooooo difficult. I can sympathize.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:40 am
that is where a baby swing comes in handy ...

Squash

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 1:58 am
Dr. Kypson told put him on the dryer in an infant seat.

Sparkle

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 2:48 am
Even with the techniques from "Happiest Baby on the Block", the swing, gripe water, changing formula a gizzilion times, mylicon drops, cosleeping, the drier, car rides, bouncy seats, and more - all my babies were exactly the way you describe yours. It always started around 2-3 weeks of age and ends around 11-12 weeks of age. So hang in there. I know if feels like eternity but it does pass relatively quickly. If you can get someone to help hold the baby occasionally - it will help keep you sane until the baby outgrows it.

Been there, done that - 3 times!

PM me if you have more questions.

BennysMommy

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 2:58 am
Gripe water worked for me. It was unbelievable!

zigi

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 10:22 am
dd needed to be swaddled in the swing with a sussy and the vacume cleaner on, also the lights had to be dimmed.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 11:35 am
my 9 yr old was the perfect baby till he turned 3 1/2 weeks old. At tht point he was on J&J's similac. when he was 4 weeks old he didnt stop crying, and throwing up. When he was 5 weeks old, I sat with him erev Yom Kippur to take a sonogram to rule out piloric stenosis. It turns out he had reflux.

Reflux is a form of heartburn. For my son, simple Maalox or Mylanta helped him. You should take her to the doctor.

&

Has your mother been telling you this is payback for when you were a baby? LOL

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 2:04 pm
My dd was psychotic in the evenings...from 5p on..sometimes until 1 a....a walk in the stroller could help chill her out a little, and definately chilled me out...and only a bath worked. By 7 weeks she became much more chilled out. I thought she was going to cry forever...

My neighbor's ds cried also when not sleeping. They wore him in a sling as much as possible, and then she actually tried putting him to sleep on his stomach for naps (when she'd be awake to check up on him). It made a huge difference. He slept better so he wasn't overtired and things became much more manageable....

Tehilla

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 6:38 pm
Materna dairy could be the issue...dairy in general can be the issue. Try an easy-ish elimination style diet if you're really having trouble.

I had to cut out dairy for a few months.

I really got a bracha when I stopped eating tuna--the quality of tuna was giving her major colic. About two days after she stopped having colic. We also gave a homeopathic remedy (chamomilla) and the combo stopped the colic within a week. Pulsatilla is also a good remedy for colic.

Not every baby has to suffer!! I never thought this one would stop screaming, but patience on our part and an amazing lactation support person who is also naturally inclined (towards remedies, etc) and she turned into such a happier baby --way before the docs expected based on her colic spells.

PM if you want.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 3:01 pm
im reading all these posts on colic with tears in my eyes bec I think im ready to explode!!! my baby cries non stop and is already 6 weeks old, and this was from day 2!!! we tried e/t from swaddling, rocking, car rides, swings, bouncers, baths, pacifiers, mylecon, karo syrup, brown sugar, nursing, formula, changing my diet, but the baby doesnt sleep and doesnt have bowel mvmnts and is in pain!

guess im venting bec I cant wait till 3 months as e/o said itll get better. I have to go back to work, which babysitter willput up with this!

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 3:05 pm
oy, amother I'm sorry.

I know some people don't have experience with it, or are unsure of it...but our homeopath I practically feel like saved my world! two of my kids were very colicky, and with one of them it just kept going and going well into toddlerhood.

everything else we tried only slightly alleviated it or did nothing. please consider it. you can PM me for more info.

get any and all help you can, with most babies Be"H it passes. look at your diet too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 3:06 pm
just wondering, but for those of you who used electric devices to calm your babies, what did you do on shabbatot?

rochellee

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:08 pm
I had the same thing with my baby. She screamed and screamed and screamed. The Dr. said it was reflux because she was screaming in pain and the back of her throat was very red. They put her on axid but it didn't help completely. They switched her to prevacid and I stopped eating dairy and she is the happiest baby around. My ped. says not having bowel movements happens because the babies are so tense they stop the muscles from doing their thing. As soon as their relaxed out it will come. You will get through it hopefully in one piece!! Hatzlacha

Shemmie

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 5:24 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
just wondering, but for those of you who used electric devices to calm your babies, what did you do on shabbatot?

we keep our sound machine in the room on all the time. it literally never is turned off!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics