Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Stimulation for my ds

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 10:40 pm
My ds is almost 4 months k'ah but we was born about 5 weeks early. So in terms of development I'd say he's closer to 3 months. I'm looking for things to stimulate him. Any ideas? When we have time we spend it playing with him but I'm looking for other things as well. He loves his mobile (it's great with black and white insides, which allows him to follow it), but he has bad reflux so we mostly keep him in his bouncer seat. It has a few toys on top, but he doesn't seem interested really.

He also can't really fully grasp things with his hands except our fingers. I am at a total loss because I'm the youngest and I don't have too much experience. Thanks.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 10:46 pm
Babywearing would help him. The feeling of closeness and security is proven to help babies not only bond with their parents but become healthier too, emotionally, developmentally and physically.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:01 pm
What he needs is human interaction. Putting him on the mat or in a bouncer is okay for short periods of time but he needs interaction with you or dh. Talking to him, showing him toys, helping him manipulate them, massaging him, etc.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:54 pm
The mobile is good, a little bit in jumper or exersaucer, a gym, talking to him...

Fabulous

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 11:27 am
that's the thing. I constantly talk to him, every time he is upset and cranky or I'm going to change him or feed him and often when I'm doing chores, I'll tell him what I'm doing. But I can't do that the whole day. I work part time and have to cook and clean and have some time to myself as well. I was looking for ideas about a toy or something that would help.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
What he needs is human interaction. Putting him on the mat or in a bouncer is okay for short periods of time but he needs interaction with you or dh. Talking to him, showing him toys, helping him manipulate them, massaging him, etc.

Agreed. Buying him more toys won't help him much. Put on some music and dance with him, read him some books (yes, really), play with toys in front of him. If you don't "have time" right then because you're doing something else, include him too. Put him in a bouncy seat or something while you fold laundry, and talk about what you're doing. Give him some interesting textures to feel while you're doing it. Wash dishes and let him dip his hands under the sink to feel the water, talk about how you're washing and drying them, etc. Your attention is worth more to him than anything else!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics