Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
How Do You Do It?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:36 pm
I used to work outside the house. Now I work 2 days out, 2 days at home (same job - but I have enough to do).

On the days I go to work, I get a lot done. I know I'm in for a limited time and use it.

On the days that I'm home, I have a big self-discipline problem. Surfing the net, playing/feeding/diapering the baby, need to prepare supper, noshing, etc. I would unplug the net, except I need it. Can't unplug the kitchen, though. And my baby does need taking care of.

No worries of getting fired BH. But I do feel guilty/dishonest. I keep thinking, I'll make it up tonight.. Yeah, right.. between DH, baby, supper, other obligations, there is no evening!

Practical tips, anyone? Just looking for plain ol practical tips.

mimivan

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:56 pm
First of all, there is no need to feel guilty unless you are working by the hour.
If you are working by the hour, then you should really consider making the bulk of your hours when the baby is asleep (I do this) late at night, early in the a.m (and to make up for lack of sleep I nap with the baby)
Also, consider getting someone to watch the baby part of the time.

Now when you are "on the clock" and taking care of the baby, keep your eye on the clock. Diapering doesn't take any longer than a typical trip to the water cooler if you were in an office. I can nurse a baby and type at the same time. As far as spoonfeeding, I wouldn't do this while on the clock..it takes time, but for brief, 5 minute tasks here and there, I wouldn't worry, as long as most of your hours are undisturbed and it isn't more than once or twice an hour.

If you aren't working by the hour, then at least there isn't an ethical issue, but there is the issue of getting work done. Give yourself more time to do things and don't get discouraged. Make deadlines much earlier than they need to be to give you a chance to finish ahead. This means simply organizing your time.

Avoid surfing the net and give yourself rewards for not doing so during work (the reward could be X amount of time to surf the net or go on imamother) Make yourself finish a task before being able to surf.

Get your housework done before work, as much as possible, and tell yourself you will leave everything during work time (if this won't adversely affect shalom bayis..if so, try to encourage your dh to help out)...

Just a few things just from the top of my head. I've been a WAHM for 6 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything, but it isn't as easy as many people think at first glance. I had my baby with a playgroup one year, but that is too expensive now, so I am also working with a baby at home.

Luvinglife

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 6:45 pm
After I had DD#2, I started working only 2 days at the office (from 10-3:30) and then 2 days home.

Because I had the same problem you're having, I chose to work 2 full days at the office (10-6:00) and IF I'm in the mood, I work from home on the other days, but at my leisure.

I found it very difficult to discipline myself to keep away from the internet and to keep my concentration on the work being done.

So, there you go.

Sorry I was of no help.
the only think I can think of is shutting yourself into a room and sending your baby to a sitter!

nightingale

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:09 am
I work at home but I am self-employed. Maybe that is what makes the difference in being disciplined. I also have multiple clients and they all have deadlines and when they coincide (like before Chanukah) the heat is really on. I guess it depends on what the fallout of you not getting the work done is.

e1234

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:38 am
I also work at home.
I do send all kids to a babysitter as I can't work with kids.
my biggest distraction is imamother and when it's nice outside to go outside for a few minutes of fresh air.
I have been doing as mimvan said - work for x amount of time and then I'll give myself a 5 minute break.
I used to be better and not need this but now I seem to need it more.
(I time off during my breaks )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers