Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
The 60minute diet

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:01 pm
anyone ever hear of this?
http://www.sixtyminutediet.com/

Ronit

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:03 pm
Not for me.

As much as I like eating. Eating every 60 minutes is just to much.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:07 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
At best, it's unhealthy, at worst, it's ridiculous and totally not being realistic.

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:08 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
pobody's nerfect wrote:
At best, it's unhealthy, at worst, it's ridiculous and totally not being realistic.

why?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:12 pm
I don't know what your lifestyle is like, but I can't imagine there are too many people who are available and have access to food that often. Not to mention the digestive system basically working non stop (almost).

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:19 pm
Actually, it sounds pretty solid to me. Most health/weight-conscious people agree that 6 small meals a day are better then 3 big. Many healthy eating plans that I've looked at (as opposed to fad diets), promote smaller meals with eating more often. Or normal sized meals with snacks in between. Actually, most diet plans/healthy eating plans that I've seen require healthy snacking. For myself, if I snack/eat all day, (healthy or otherwise), I often find I am satisfied with a minimal or small dinner. I think just the way its phrased as '60 minute diet' that turns us off, making it sound more like a fad diet then the potential for being a guideline to healthy eating. of course, it doesn't necessarily mean healthy eating, but I think it definitely helps with weight loss. and going heavy on proteins and some carbs in the morning I've heard is also good.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:26 am
interesting to hear the different feedback.

my father-in-law wrote the book and started the diet. he's lost lots of weight on the diet, and my husband has in the past too. we both have to lose quite a bit of weight now (40-50 lbs) so we're doing it together.

it really makes a lot of sense. each night before I go to bed, I put 10 100-calorie 'meals' into a big bowl for each of us. (I use a lot of pre-packaged 100-calorie packs, but also make baggies of some foods. I also have index cards with refrigerated foods written on them that I put in the bowl.) we each eat 7 meals between 10 AM and 5 PM, then have a supper of about 400-500 calories, and then have 3 more snacks.

it's such an easy diet to stick to, because you can eat anything you want. (yes, from a health standpoint this isn't the best, but my FIL says first lose the weight, then focus on healthier eating.) mostly we don't eat junk because it's not as filling, but we know that if a craving for chocolate or something starchy comes, we don't have to say no. it's all about portion control. my husband grabs a few snacks to take with him to yeshiva, and whenever I leave the house I make sure to throw some food into the diaper bag.

I'm still not finished reading the book (even though it's really short and easy to read), but so far I liked it because it explains how eating small meals helps rev up your metabolism by having it always working, but never overworked. also, he explains how to tailor the diet to your needs- like we're doing by having supper instead of only having 100-calorie meals all day. when we go to NY in a few weeks, we're going to allow ourselves to eat at restaurants, but will plan for it by saving up calories.

my FIL explains how he had bad indigestion and heartburn prior to starting the diet, and how it cured it. I have colitis and always have stomachaches after meals. (I know, the SCD would work wonders for that but I don't have the self control to take that step yet.) the 60 minute diet has really helped! my husband has always had stomach distress but never saw a doctor about it. on the diet, he is feeling great. it may be because of the small portion size, or because we are having significantly less dairy and I've always suspected that he's lactose intolerant.

we're only on our second week now, but I'm feeling great and not feeling at all like I'm starving or missing out. I've never not wanted to quit a diet before! at our weekly weigh-in, I lost five pounds. I know the first week is generally high, but with increased exercise and really sticking to the diet (I haven't cheated once! and on shabbos I was able to eat normally without overdoing it) I'm hoping I can shed these extra pounds- especially because IYH I'll get pregnant again and need to be able to maintain good eating habits throughout that so that I won't blow up again!

willow

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 5:14 am
pobody's nerfect wrote:

it really makes a lot of sense. each night before I go to bed, I put 10 100-calorie 'meals' into a big bowl for each of us. (I use a lot of pre-packaged 100-calorie packs, but also make baggies of some foods. I also have index cards with refrigerated foods written on them that I put in the bowl.) we each eat 7 meals between 10 AM and 5 PM, then have a supper of about 400-500 calories, and then have 3 more snacks.

Basically you are only eating 1000 calories a day? Well of course you are losing weight thats not a healthy way

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 6:16 am
willow wrote:
pobody's nerfect wrote:

Basically you are only eating 1000 calories a day? Well of course you are losing weight thats not a healthy way

no. 1500 calories- 7 100-calorie meals before dinner, then a 500 calorie dinner, then 3 more 100-calorie meals. I think thats the normal range for dieting.

happyone

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:13 am
I would think the best way to do it is to learn to eat 3 solid meals a day.
Teaching one and getting used to eating on the hour to me seems like it would create compulsive overeating and teaching one to eat literally all day.

Not for me, wouldnt let me children try this either.

Good luck for those it works for.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:01 am
Quote:
I would think the best way to do it is to learn to eat 3 solid meals a day.

I find 3 meals a day to be the least practical. Unless you literally don't have time to eat. There is a long gap between each meal when its 3 a day. even if you eat a lot. farkert, if I literally didn't eat anything between meals, I'd probably overeat and gorge at each meal.

Health is a Virture

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 1:56 am
some people do better eating lots of mini meals, others eating 2 meals a day. we are not all the same person and our bodies work differently. I think for me this would probably be the ideal, for health reasons.

lamplighter

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 11:32 am
I eat all day. My Dh can have 2 or 3 BIG meal and he's good to go but I'm a major snacker.
If your snacks are only 100 calories then your probably eating healthier snacks- which is what is helping to lose the weight. Weight loss is all about calorie reduction. If this way is a good way to train yourself to be eating fewer calories and not feel hungry- kol hakovod. I can see it working for a lot of people. (I bet I actually even do it without noticing, but I do watch my white/wheat flour intake and sugar as well). It's like a disciplined/systematized WW. For some it would mean a lot of food prep and calorie counting, and perhaps even turn them into "constant eaters" but if you that way- you do the 5 little meals thing a day (naturally) I see the value here.
There will be those people who will argue taht keeping your digestive system working is keeping you hungry more/all of the time. I say it's pretty harmless but like all diets and exercise plans- the right one fro you is not necessarily the right one for someone else- discuss it with a health professional.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise