Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! My baby wont take a bottle!

Justlookup

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:23 am
My baby is a little over three months old now and I will need to go back to work soon, so I planned on pumping and him getting a bottle for the few hours I will be away, and possibly give formula if I have a hard time with the pumping.
I decided to start giving him a little now so he'll get used to it and not be stuck when I'm at work, but he just wont take it!
He just plays with the nipple with his tongue, moving it around in his mouth. Sometimes he even laughs - something must feel funny about it bec. he gets nice and calm and smiles away whenever I try. I also tried doing it when he was hungry and crying but it didnt help. I dont know if he just doesnt know what to do or just doesnt want to suck the bottle. I tried two different nipples - an avent and a nuby, but got the same results. I dont know what to do bec. I wont be able to go to work if there's no way to feed him while I'm gone!

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 10 2010, 5:30 am
2 things:

1. You should not be the one giving the bottle. He smells you and knows there's the real thing nearby.

2. My DS#2 wouldn't take a bottle either. But the first day I went back to work he drank 2 out of the 4 bottles I took for him. I'm guessing he didn't have a choice; he was so hungry that he took what there was. He was 15 weeks old, BTW. (Of course, once we switched him into the daycare next to me at work and I was nursing during the day, he refused the bottle again!)

cubbie

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 10:16 am
The thing that worked for me with one of my dd's who wouldn't take a bottle, not from me, not from dh when I wasn't in the house, it didn't matter if we tried with bm, formula or water, different bottles/nipples she point blank refused and I tried from age 2 weeks until 2 months with no luck, so I nursed her with the avent silicon nipple guards for a couple of days so she got used to sucking on silicon and she had no problem after that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics