Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
"fat" talk this young?

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 11:17 am
DD, only 3.5, started talking at dinner about how if she eats her face and tummy will get fat but her back won't, etc. I was so surprised and didn't know really what to say. I told her that was silly and if she eats good, healthy food that we give her, she won't be fat.
I know that's not completely accurate and probably not the best answer. What would you do? This topic is for sure going to come up again.
FTR, she's not overweight, not stick-thin either but average.

LeahW

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:16 pm
Sounds like it might be more of a cause-effect thing than a body-image thing. I suspect perhaps she was just commenting about what happens to our bodies in general when we eat... she was probably just observing that people carry fat in their tummies and faces, and not so much in their backs. And of course this is usually connected to eating food.

louche

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:07 pm
who knows, maybe she overheard people discussing a pregnant woman and whether she carried all in front or in back. lucky girl, hasn't yet heard about back fat. you gave her a good enough response for her age. Don't sweat it and don't make an issue of her question.

levial

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:40 pm
I heard it from DD then too. Someone in her class had had a baby...and the new big sister was carrying forward all the "I need to lose weight" comments.

I tried not to make a big deal and it went away. Now that I'm pregnant, she remarked on my "fat" belly. I said "you're right, it got bigger, but that's because I have a baby inside, not fat. (ha only half true..)." She stuck out her belly at me and said "now I have one too..." I think it's a word about size, not a judgemental word like we adults use it (as in "MMOOOOMM Loook at that FAT man!" (I.e. a man who is abnormally large, not that we're trying to hurt him by calling out fat man...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers