Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you walk into someones house without being told?

Shmerling

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 1:46 pm
(Just another small spinoff of the 'messy house' thread.)

If you knock on your neighbors door to borrow something, do you wait by the door while she goes to get it? or do you follow her into the kitchen even if she didnt say 'come on in'? Do you think thats polite? I have one neighbor who always does that and I cant stand it. My front room is usually neat and clean, the rest of the house not always. So sometimes I'll say 'come in' sometimes I dont. If I dont, then I think its rude of her to follow me in (and see my greasy stovetop! Exploding anger )

(I was just wondering how the op of the other thread managed to see her neighbors kitchen? did the neighbor invite her in?)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 1:49 pm
Shmerling wrote:
(Just another small spinoff of the 'messy house' thread.)

If you knock on your neighbors door to borrow something, do you wait by the door while she goes to get it? or do you follow her into the kitchen even if she didnt say 'come on in'? Do you think thats polite? I have one neighbor who always does that and I cant stand it. My front room is usually neat and clean, the rest of the house not always. So sometimes I'll say 'come in' sometimes I dont. If I dont, then I think its rude of her to follow me in (and see my greasy stovetop! Exploding anger )

(I was just wondering how the op of the other thread managed to see her neighbors kitchen? did the neighbor invite her in?)
in our apartment you walk in the front door and everything is right there, its one very very large room with the kitchen living room and dinning room all together so when you walk in, you right away see if the counters in the kitchen are dirty or a mess or if the sinks have dishes in them. maybe the OP went into a home like that.

louche

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 2:38 pm
I would not. I would stand by the door unless the balabosteh said "Come on in". What do I know, her dh could be cowering in the kitchen in his undershorts!

drumjj

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 3:10 pm
I would also wait by the door to be invited in

csfm

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 1:15 pm
I would never dream of just walking in without having been specifically welcomed to. I would be appalled if anyone tried to do that to me.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 2:21 pm
Why would someone even think it's OK to just walk into someone's home without an explicit invitation to do so? It baffles me as to how people think it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 3:12 pm
I have a neighbor who just waltzes in my door without knocking Mad It bothers me even when the house is spotless

Zus

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 4:01 pm
I always wait until someone answers the door (either opens it or yells "open!" or something like that).
I would not step inside unless they invite me in. By the way, if the neighbors walks away from the door while talking to me, I also see that as an invitation to follow her inside, even if she doesn't explicitly say it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette